Why become a member? ×

Does the shape of a bass guitar effect the sound of performance of a bass guitar?

K_J

Hi,

As the world of bass guitars is all new to me, I am wanting to learn all the aspects of them. I am wondering if the shape does actually effect the performance of the bass? I've seen some very wacky designs and as I am making my own bass guitar, I want to know how adventurous I can actually be. 

Thank You,

K-Jo

The shape of the bass can have a huge impact on how the body balances when you're wearing it on a strap. If the bass is poorly balanced such that the neck is always trying to dive towards the floor (Gibsons seem to be particularly prone to this) then you're constantly having to support it with your left hand.

The design of the bass also ideally needs to be comfortable against your body, both when you're standing up with it on a strap, and when you're sitting down with it rested on your knee.

S.P.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

The shape of the bass can have a huge impact on how the body balances when you're wearing it on a strap. If the bass is poorly balanced such that the neck is always trying to dive towards the floor (Gibsons seem to be particularly prone to this) then you're constantly having to support it with your left hand.

The design of the bass also ideally needs to be comfortable against your body, both when you're standing up with it on a strap, and when you're sitting down with it rested on your knee.

S.P.

Good points.....me personally like P and J Basses with contoured body for comfort.