Why become a member? ×

Awful Sound

mikeh

[quote name='99ster' post='96772' date='Dec 1 2007, 01:39 AM'][b]+1000[/b]
..... work with good musicians & they always sound good WITHOUT a PA. And that's the key - it should sound great without a PA - you should only need a PA to lift the overall volume & let the singer be heard clearly. A PA engineer shouldn't have to fix the crap sound of the band & fight against the egos of 'musicians' who think they deserve to be louder than the rest of their band mates.[/quote]

I think you've hit the nail on the head there 99ster. We usually work to the drummers natural playing level as he obviously cant turn up or down and still needs to hit the kit at a comfortable level to play properly. This the way to go in small venues. As the venues get bigger we will introduce some kick drum to the PA and if bigger again then because our guitarists dont play that loud anyway we will just mix a little bit of guitar more for balance than volume.

Edited by Freuds_Cat

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='96825' date='Nov 30 2007, 05:15 PM']I often wonder what state FoH engineers ears are in - surely anyone who regularly does the sound for bands is exposed to loud music on such a regular basis that their hearing would be less than perfect to start with. I've never really noticed any of them using ear protection - has anyone?[/quote]

This is why it's so rediculously loud in a lot of venues!

I'm lucky to have a lot of very critical friends... ie., I have a very distinctive sound with my MarkBass rig & people know what I usually 'sound' like. First outing of my Geddy Lee Fender Jazz was such an occasion where a friend said it sounded very middly compared to my Status/Warwick sound. Easily fixed with some onboard filter adjustment.

I'm lucky enough to have a very powerful rig, so often don't need to DI through the PA. At bigger venues, you are of course, at the mercy of the sound engineers & luckily I've never had cause to complain. (Apart from of course when we were playing through a 40K system with 2K of personal monitoring each - Now where did I put my earplugs??)