Why become a member? ×

Abba, nails, screaming girls

Witters

Right, the guitar pickin’ nails have gone in readiness for my Abba gig on Friday with many screaming schoolgirls.  Something to do with some exams, I believe.  It’s gonna be a blast, can’t wait!. 😁 Apparently I will need earplugs as the girls will be louder than the band! Oh dear. 😮

On the plus side my jazz bass sounds great now!  Much closer to the sound I like, namely Geddy Lee.

For anyone who is interested I’m using Alaska Piks for guitar picking, workable but a challenge.  I’m gonna stick at it cos bass is so much damn fun!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Witters said:

For anyone who is interested I’m using Alaska Piks for guitar picking, workable but a challenge.  I’m gonna stick at it cos bass is so much damn fun!  

They look like a better idea than the plain fingertip extensions.  How are you getting on with them?

image.png.3457745ba41c657ef41f23ceaf0ee5bc.png

image.png.13a9beb5f0bd9bc0f41074d19b2087bc.png

Edited by SpondonBassed

6 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

They look like a better idea than the plain fingertip extensions.  How are you getting on with them?

They’re supposed to go under a bit of nail to give them some resistance but that isn’t always easy.  Having said that, with practise I think they will be the best yet.  I’ve tried various other options, including girlie fake nails (which are great for guitar, rubbish for bass, very high maintenance and potentially expensive).

One bonus with alaska piks is you can shape them.  I’m almost at the point of saying the only thing better is real nails.

They are not the most comfortable as they are quite tight fitting, but I guess they need to be.  I will persevere as I don’t have a choice if I continue with what I want to do ..... play different guitar styles using nails AND play bass.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Addendum to the last entry.  As I play artificial harmonics the classical guitar way, ie one finger to “fret” the note then another to pluck the string as opposed to the Jaco style (correct me if I’m wrong please) of thumb and finger (?), I need a nail.  I’m using an Alaska pik on my third finger to achieve the desired result....useful for Birdland and others (probably...I haven’t got that far yet)