Why become a member? ×

Tweeter - dead or acting up?

TheGreek

Pulled my Mesa rig out in preparation for Saturday's Bash. Last time I used it, no problem.

Checking today - it's developed a nasty hissy, over-driven noise which I'm attributing to the tweeter.  The amps OK, ran this to another cab, no issues, ran the cab using my Elf - same problem. 

I took the front cover off and had a look, the main speaker looks fine - no rips or tears - but the tweeter is harder to get at and examine. Short of running it over to my local amp Tech, is there anything I can do (no electrical tools though) to see if it's a glitch or permanently dead??

Edited by TheGreek

Have you checked all screws are tight? And that any grills or coverings are secure. Can also gently test any main drivers to check for rubbing just in case. 

If you have a multimeter you can check the tweeter coil. You could wire a 1.5v aa battery to the tweeter and listen for a click. But sounds like there is not much more you can do other than a visual inspection of it and any crossover of course.