Why become a member? ×

Marshall MBC410

Guest MoJo

Hi all
I bought one of these a while ago as I was looking for a 4 x 10 and the purse strings were tight (still are). With their sub £200 price tag, it seemed a bargain. Rated at 600W rms and 4 ohms it appeared to be the ideal companion to my Laney B1 head.

I have subsequently found that the old adage, "you get what you pay for" would appear to ring true in this case. It produces a reasonable if uninspiring sound but appears to be very inefficient, producing far less volume than one would expect from a cab rated at 600W rms even when driving the amp (1500W into 4ohms) quite hard. Opening up the cabinet revealled 4 'no-name' drivers with absolutely no information on them other than '16 ohm'.

I have purchased the plans for BFM's Omni 10 and when I can get round to clearing enough space in my shed, I'm going to have a bash at building one. Does anyone else have experience or information on this budget 4 x 10?

Cheers,

Mark

[quote name='bassman2790' post='340533' date='Nov 29 2008, 03:40 PM']I have purchased the plans for BFM's Omni 10 and when I can get round to clearing enough space in my shed, I'm going to have a bash at building one. Does anyone else have experience or information on this budget 4 x 10?[/quote]
The first, and possibly most important, piece of information is that it's a 2x10. Or it can be basically cut in half and built as a 1x10.

Other than that, I'm about as far along in the build process as you are...

The BFM forums are worth looking at, and there's quite a few posters on finnbass who have made them.

Sorry, my post was a little ambiguious. When referring to the 'budget 4 x 10', I meant the Marshall. I've read all the revues of the Omni 10 which have always been good however, I'm a little concerned as one or two have appeared on the 'For Sale' forums recently. If they're that good, why would anyone sell one in favour of a commercial cab?

Mark