Why become a member? ×

Best bass to get?

Toffeexbassist

I own a Yamaha TRB-6, a Conklin modified eight-string, and a Bassix electric upright bass, and the bass that I take out for most gigs with me is an OLP MM3 5-string. Partly because some bandleaders don't like too many strings, partly because I'm less afraid of anything happening to it, and partly because it's just a great, fun bass to play!

[quote name='Delberthot' post='37593' date='Jul 27 2007, 12:19 AM']the best playing bass I ever owned was my Modulus mucho bucks Flea bass. The second was my £299 Bass Collection Speakeasy bass. Incredible value for so little. the next after that was a Rockbass Fortress ( I think ).

You don't have to spend mega bucks to get a top bass.

Different people play different stuff when they pick up a bass - I play one of the fastest runs I know I can play. If I can't play it, it goes back on the rack, if I can about manage it it is a possible after a good setup, if it seems easy then its an instant purchase - the bass collection was the latter.

Not a status symbol but if you're looking for playability over snob factor or a 'name' this is my number one choice. Everyone does them. You can even get them under the SX name (big in the US) for less but they don't have as good electronics[/quote]

+1 for the Bass Collection Speakeasy. Got one and love it and at £299 new it's great value.