Why become a member? ×

1972 Telecaster Bass-nitro or poly finish?

I'm sorting out my purchase from last year. As you can see from the photo it had an extra pickup added and I'm going to get the hole routed and a piece glued in. Likewise the bridge was swapped out and the whole area has a number of extraneous holes so will get that routed and sorted too, keeping the string through holes (obviously)! I know there is a view that leaving the Bass 'as is' is more authentic than sorting it, but I'm not going for a 'as new finish', as it has quite a few chips anyway.

My question has arisen from contacting a refinisher who states he only does nitro and thinks this may be poly. It never occurred to me it would be poly but now am wondering....?

Pretty sure the headstock is nitro( has crazing) but may not be original finish  and the body has faded from white to the ivory colour you see. Does anyone know definitively if 72's were nitro or poly or would better photos help?

20171011_150155.thumb.jpg.e1e55f8866bc225e795d35a2920041d5.jpg

20171011_150202.thumb.jpg.b8e769071bfbcea9b301907e9659e00c.jpg