Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ibanez SR305?

M4L666

[quote name='M4L666' post='339364' date='Nov 28 2008, 10:44 AM']What do you guys think of it? It seems like the cheapest decent 5-string you can get. Any advice on buying cheap/second hand, issues with the bass, anything? I will try one out as soon as there is one in a shop somewhere, and tell you about that.[/quote]

Soundgears are good value, though if it was me I would hold out till I had enough for an SR505BM, which is a cracking bass for the money.

The 305 has noisy electronics with plenty of "hiss" and a mids equalizer that is hard to use, not intuitive at all and most of the time you wish it was a 2band eq instead of that crappy "parametric-wannabe" pot.

I have no clue why manufacturers build such cheap circuits inside cost-compromised intruments, when passive basses are much more reliable, less complex and sound much better with proper pickups. As an example, compare the Ibanez 305 sound with the similar priced Rockbass Streamer standard 5 stringer and be prepared for a huge surprise: The Warwick clone has a tone to die for, much better than the Ibanez, and total absence of noise since it is passive. Those MEC soapbar pickups are a miracle!

[quote name='rjb' post='340363' date='Nov 29 2008, 11:09 AM']Soundgears are good value, though if it was me I would hold out till I had enough for an SR505BM, which is a cracking bass for the money.[/quote]

+1, the SR505 is a brilliant bass.

and also a +1 to what fraktal said, i've not read great things about the SR300, but haven't had chance to play it yet. i'd definatly hold out for a 505 or go for a rockbass, which i have read great things about.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='344300' date='Dec 3 2008, 04:20 PM']+1, the SR505 is a brilliant bass.

and also a +1 to what fraktal said, i've not read great things about the SR300, but haven't had chance to play it yet. i'd definatly hold out for a 505 or go for a rockbass, which i have read great things about.[/quote]

the sr 500 are worth the little extra, and i found compared to the rockbass's that i tried the SR 500's had more tone to them, more substantial. the rockbass just felt a little thin and wet.\

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='345243' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:13 PM']the sr 500 are worth the little extra, and i found compared to the rockbass's that i tried the SR 500's had more tone to them, more substantial. the rockbass just felt a little thin and wet.\[/quote]

Wich rockbass model did you try, Mike? I wouldnt say my Streamer is thin at all, but maybe I got lucky.

2 months ago I went into my local shop and asked to try an Ibby SR505 that, as usual, they didnt have in stock. The salesman, who is a very helpful and friendly guy, insisted me to try the 305 since it was so cheap and had such a killer tone and blablabla. So I told him: Ok, bring both models to the shop and I will buy one of them. They called me a week after, both basses were at the shop. They were kind enough to set up a markbass 2x10 combo at the basement so I could try both models extensively without scaring the sh*t out of the rest of the clients.

I spent there a whole morning and the only better thing I found in the 305 was its weight, slightly lighter than the 505, though this was expected since the 305 body is made out of plastic (sigh!) and the 505 body is mahogany. Regarding tone and looks, there is an obvious difference between the two. It was even funny because the 505 was equipped with elixir strings that I hate (sound wise, that plastic layer kills the sustain) and still blew the 305 out of the water. The mahogany body, the 5 piece bubinga/jatoba neck plus the bartolini pickups and pre are a killer combination.

Guess wich one I took home?

I had an Ibanez SR300 for all of two weeks before I chopped it in! I thought it sounded great, was very versatile and had a nice sleek neck but I could not get on with those "rounded" pickups that are supposed to aid fingerstyle playing but I found I had nowhere to anchor my thumb without raising the pickups significantly (too far). I believe the same pickups are used on the five string version as well. If you use a pick or slap exclusively, shouldn't be a problem, but if you use your fingers, try before you buy, I wish I had!

P.S. Happy ending, swapped it in for a Squier 60's Cool Vibes P Bass and bits n' bobs!