Why become a member? ×

Boss RV-3: your opinions please

Fionn

I’m currently on the hunt for a reverb pedal, and a friend has offered me a Boss RV3 at a very good price. I’ve been scratching around for info online, but bass-relevant opinions are scant and inconsistent. The bass demo’s on YouTube aren’t so great either. I’ve had no experience of reverb pedals thus far, and I don’t have the opportunity to demo it (or any other pedal) first, hence my question. 

I was wondering what folks opinions of this pedal are? 

I’m digging the fact that it doubles as a delay, and I’m not a true-bypass purist, so that’s all good. Regarding sound quality though... Does it retain low end? Is the character of the reverb suited to bass? Any other observations, good or bad? 

I play both passive and active basses, and the pedal would be part of an already extensive board.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Edited by Fionn

Never used the RV-3, but IMO, to much low end using reverb wont work very well as the bass will get easily out of control. A reverb with high pass filter is a very usefull tool. That will allow you to take the excess of bass affected by the reverb. 

Edited by A.G.E.N.T.E.

I love the thing, had one on my board for nearly 10 years. I have 2 uses for it; light ambience using reverb+delay algo during quiet passages, but also on delay setting 3 as a glitch looper.

Never struck me as losing any low end. Longer reverb/delay times can get a bit much.

I have a Timeline as well, but could never kick the RV-3 off my board.

I use an EQD dispatch master, but still want to add an RV-3 when I can find one at a decent price. Demos I've heard give it a fairly cold sound, lots of ISIS tracks have the bass through an RV-3. If you don't get on with it you can probably sell it for a profit, so worth a go! If you find it too cold / sterile, the dispatch master is worth a look.