Why become a member? ×

Sansamp BDDI XLR output - Stupid question

Iacopo San

I have a gig next Friday and I'll send the bass signal only into mixer and PA system..I have either a Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI and a programmable BDDI just arrived today which I will use, so I know I could send my signal to the mixer using the XLR output.

My stupid question is: since I use other pedals in the chain AFTER the Sansamp, I guess these would not be sent to the PA if I use the xrl output from the sansamp in the middle of the chain? In this case, would i necessarily need to have to Sansamp at the end of my chain to send all the pedals?

Second stupid question..if what I just wrote it's true, can I alternatively send my signal to the mixer and PA through regular jack cable from the last pedal of my chain? Are there significant differences in terms of quality or advantages between XRL and quarter jack cable?

Thanks

There are no stupid questions. But there are a heck of a lot of inquisitive idiots :-) Just kidding.

First question, yes, if you use the DI output from the Sansamp anything after it in the chain will not go to the mixer. If there is no amp downstream, you wont get those effects anywhere.

And yes, you can use a regular jack cable from the last pedal in the chain and provided the cable is reasonably short (less than 5 metres or so) you probably wont notice a lot of difference.

Since you seem to have 2 Sansamps, you could also put the second one at the end of the chain and just use it as a DI Box. You might also find that the sound engineer in the venue will expect you to use one of his DI boxes, so you could put that at the end of your chain.