Why become a member? ×

Electronics help

ped

Hi folks,

Just switched my active passive switch for a black one after intending to do so for many years. The passive option however isn't working (active is fine). I am pretty sure the wires are all as they were on the original switch. Here is a piccie - can anyone spot the problem?

Cheers
ped

Bit of a mess in here I'm afraid!

I can't quite see from that photo - is there a "jumper wire" between the two contacts at the left of the switch ?

The action of the switch should contact the centre pair of contacts either to the left pair or right pair (when viewed from your photo) If you have a multimeter check that the switch is doing what it should.

No jumper wire there, no - there wasn't on the one that was replaced either. There were only four wires going to the switch - I see what you mean about the switch contacting the left and right to the centre but don't know how that would work with four wires...

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='335157' date='Nov 23 2008, 09:18 PM']Wait a second! STOP PRESS!

There WAS a jumper wire on the old switch! Didn't notice it at all, it is very small and tidy. I will stick that on and see if it sorts it out!

Cheers
ped[/quote]
did a similar thing with my tele build ,took several looks to see my mistake ,could only get either pup but not the two .better to check first :)

Edited by jerseytrev

[quote name='BOD2' post='335160' date='Nov 23 2008, 09:24 PM']The jumper wire would make sense, otherwise the switch isn't actually connecting anything together in one of the positions..[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Will report back tomorrow!! Thanks again...

And Trev - we have all been there at one point, infuriating isn't it?

ped

yes such simple things bases really, i work in the telecoms industry and still get things wrong, mind you in one of your photos you appear to have soldered all your wires to a piece of bubble wrap, I've only ever done that very pissed :)