Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need Trace Elliot experts

MedicoSiameseMultietnico

Hi.I'm an italian bassplayer (scuse me for the bad english).
I'm buying a trace elliot combo, but I don't understand if it's a pregibson era combo.
The model is:
Trace elliot GP12 SMX (on the top of the head).
Mod.4001 (on the back of the head)

It's a 2x10 + tweeter cab.(The cab has a red stripe and 4 metallic bolts for cone, and there are two "cilidric holes" over the cones)
(I read it on the back of the head)It has 280W RMS (580 peak value) , two 8ohm cab input (one engaged by the combo's cab and one free).
It means that I have to connect an addictional 8 ohm cab to obtain 280W 4 ohm or 580W is the max value of the amp at 4 ohm?
It's a PREGIBSON Combo?
Thank you and scuse me for the possible grammatical mistakes.

I think that tomorrow I can read the serial number.
I read other posts and I guess I've to interpret the last 3 numbers like the month and year of construction.
Have I to consider that 998 is the last pregibson construction 9 (september) 98 (1998).I'm wrong?
If the serial is like a 199 or 599 have I to consider the project pregibson and the cponstruction gibson?

Neilb sei sicuramente più esperto di me, ma leggendo in giro ho letto diverse volte che la SMC è la prima serie costruita da gibson.E' possibile che tu confonda la SMC con la SMX?

[quote name='MedicoSiameseMultietnico' post='335077' date='Nov 23 2008, 06:48 PM']I think that tomorrow I can read the serial number.
I read other posts and I guess I've to interpret the last 3 numbers like the month and year of construction.
Have I to consider that 998 is the last pregibson construction 9 (september) 98 (1998).I'm wrong?
If the serial is like a 199 or 599 have I to consider the project pregibson and the cponstruction gibson?

Neilb sei sicuramente più esperto di me, ma leggendo in giro ho letto diverse volte che la SMC è la prima serie costruita da gibson.E' possibile che tu confonda la SMC con la SMX?[/quote]

So che la SMC è stata la prima SMX, sia prima Gibson per quanto riguarda lo so.

Is it just me - or has this turned into a premiership dressing room team talk? :) :huh:

BTW , mate , yes - the amplifier section of your combo is designed to deliver it's max output into a 4 ohm load. That's achieved with 2 x 8ohm cabinets - or , in your case , connecting one 8 ohm cabinet while using the combo's internal 8ohm speaker.

Don't connect a single 4ohm cabinet to the combo's amplifier section unless you unplug the combo's internal speaker first (make your connections while the amplifier is switched off) Otherwise there may be a sudden loud noise followed by a much longer period of silence!

Old , red stripe Trace gear - loving it.

[quote name='lushuk' post='335982' date='Nov 25 2008, 02:40 AM']Tutto il discorso in italiano confonde, esso abbastanza duro in inglese![/quote]
Scuse me for the italian.
ok.
I read the production code on the back of the head and it's

496 mean it's of april of '96, then it IS a pre gibson amp.
I finnaly decide to buy an hartke 2500 + ashdown 414t because I don't like the second hand stuff (trace costs 450 euro!).
I'll spend 400 euro (for head and cab), but I'm buying new amp and cab.
What do you think about?

You mean 400 euro for the Hartke and the Ashdown? I think that's a good deal - and I do understand you wanting to buy new gear rather than second hand.

I think for that money the cab is likely to be from Ashdown's MAG range rather than ABM. It won't be built that strongly so you'll have to treat it well.

Hartke amplifiers have quite a 'clean' sound to my ears but there's nothing wrong in that if you like the sound.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='336062' date='Nov 25 2008, 10:56 AM']You mean 400 euro for the Hartke and the Ashdown? I think that's a good deal - and I do understand you wanting to buy new gear rather than second hand.

I think for that money the cab is likely to be from Ashdown's MAG range rather than ABM. It won't be built that strongly so you'll have to treat it well.[/quote]
Obviously is a MAG ashdown but is a 4 ohm cab then I have all the 250W of the head.
I love the hartke head (i prefer the HA3500 but it costs 450 euro).
Trace combo has 12 year and it's see very older.
I decide! I'm buying it (ha2550+414t) tomorrow.
Thank you.

[quote name='benzies123' post='337737' date='Nov 26 2008, 09:34 PM']Nah, I have a AH-300 GP12 SMX head made in 2004. I know that since Peavey took over there hasn't been any.[/quote]
I doubt it! Trace weren't building anything in 2004 - would love to see it tho so put some pics up :)