Why become a member? ×

Weed Whacker strings

PhilSpectone

Hi - I'm a newbie and using the bass for several things at the mo as well as learning a lot. I'm doing barn dances, backing a load of ukulele players, playing with the kids, bluegrass and in a hillbilly blues band - will these suit? Are they only for rockabilly? do they suit learners

Answers on a postcard..... :)

Phil

I put a set on a double bass in an attempt to learn slap bass - the D and G are good (flexible, easy on hands) but the E and A are dull thuds with no resonance whatsoever - and keep stretching for weeks! If you check the DB thread on here you will find alternative string recommendations

Have to agree with Clarky's analysis.

I tried them a while ago, the G and D felt good, but the A& E were absolutely useless. Put them on and took them off inside 48 hours. Fortunately they are cheap.

If you want softer strings, I have had good experiences with D'Addario Pizz Light gauge. On my bass they really opened up the tone.

Hope this helps

Shaker

You could try a set of Eurosonic lights, i found them very easy on the hands . They have a nylon wrap over a silk and steel core, Quite a traditional sound much like guts so they might suit the music you play as well.