Why become a member? ×

Ibanez active preamp woes.

I have an Ibanez Sabre SB900, had it about 10 years. The original preamp crapped out and has never worked so I stuck a set of EMGs in it.

(its one of 4 of the 5 Ibanez basses Ive had, that the electronics have crapped out, you'd think I'd learn)

I'd like to get a replacement / upgrade preamp for the original IBZ LO-Z P and J pickups.

As far as Im aware those are active pickups (not passive with an active pre) so I'll need a preamp with pot values that will work with the original pickups ? I just want the damn thing to work !!

Budget of up to £100.

Whats the best course to take or any suggestions where to start ?

The problem you may have, and an inherent issue with the Lo-Z pickups is that they run off 3v, so unless there are 2 different batteries in.the bass, the 3v must be supplied from the stock pre-amp. Running the pickups at 3v is also likely to restrict headroom as well.

It isn't wrong. The 9v battery supplies the pre-amp and then they must take a 3v feed from the pre-amp to power the pick-ups. Really need a schematic of the pre-amp to confirm that is how it works.

It looks like if you want to use the original pickups you will need the correct Ibanez pre-amp.

Good answer !!    Guess I'll have to leave them in the useless pile and stick to the set of EMGs.

Ive also got a '91 SR600 and a '91 SR800, both with knackered preamps too !! I dont have a great track record with active IBZ stuff although they are awesome basses all round !!