Why become a member? ×

Mini pot threads?

Stag

Hi guys...

A friend gave me an old Korean Squier gu*tar to fix up, restring and generally clean to keep for myself before he moved to Scotland - it's actually one of the older ones with both Fender and Squier decals on it, and has a surprisingly nice neck. Its also red and looks a bit like Gilmour's strat, so I can pretend to be Dave at home and blast out some Animals-era stuff.

Thing is - ALL the pots were loose, the volume and both tones. All over the place, no idea of what vol/tone position you were at by looking at the knobs, Took the knobs off, et voila, no nuts holding the pots to the pickguard. So i order some standard 3/8" x 32 thread pot mounting nuts... they arrive.... and they are too big. They fit the pot thread on my other guitars just fine but of course not the Squier.

So my question is... where would one find the correct size nuts? I would say there's about 1mm, maybe 2mm difference between the width of the thread on these pots and a standard Fender pot (the ones on my Musicmaster) - is this a bit weird? And if anyone has come across this please fill me in on this oddness... and perhaps where I can the correct nuts (even Allparts dont do them).

Cheers!

Edited by Stag

The control cavity on my Encore bodied Precision 'parts' bass is tiny. The original pots were 'mini' pots, but they were knackered!
I got replacement mini-pots from Allparts, and I'm pretty sure they came with all the 'mounting hardware', nuts & washers etc!

Si