Why become a member? ×

GK Plex / Strymon Ojai R30 woes

OzMike

I've got a GK Plex preamp, and it's been a bit noisy with what sounds like switch-mode power supply noise using the provided adapter (rated at 9V/1A), so got hold of a Strymon Ojai R30 supply, which has multiple channels rated at 500ma of current. Enough for the GK Plex, which has a 500ma @ 9VDC requirement in the manual, right? Not so fast... after some experimentation and back and forth with both GK and Strymon support, it turns out that the Ojai 'ramps up' it's voltage to the connected pedal in such a way that the Plex won't 'boot' properly'. By this I mean the Plex ends up with most or all of it's indicators lit up, doesn't respond to the footswitches, and doesn't make any sound. Using a current-doubling cable, that combines the current from two of the Ojai's channels, makes practically no difference.

The GK support chap wrote this:
----
The issue is the power ramps up when you turn on the Ojai. I've discussed this issue with Strymon and they confirmed.  If you plug the Plex in after the Strymon unit has powered up to it should work fine.
We are working on a firmware update that will allow the Plex re-check for full power a few seconds after it is connected. This should address the issue.
----

So, good news, once the firmware update comes out, but meanwhile the Plex will only work with it's included adapter; despite what he claimed I couldn't get my Plex to work with the Strymon supply, no matter what. Oh, and GK support confirmed this firmware update will also change the 'double-tap to tune' functionality, which is another positive change.

Meh, that's the firmware that was originally supposed to surface in August.

I've been a GK fan for years and I've many good experiences with the 6 amps and 4 cabs that I've owned but they've really dropped the ball with the Plex. Low output, annoying problems, no updates, product recalls (unavoidable, but adds to the bad taste we already have).