Why become a member? ×

MTD Kingston KZ4 and Super4 Opinions

tobiewharton

I have a bucketload of love for my Super 5. Sounds, looks and feels beautiful. Haven’t played a Super 4 or a KZ4 but I have played a Saratoga 4 which has the same neck. It’s possibly the nicest 4 string neck I’ve played. The asymmetry really is lovely in the hand.

I compared the Super 5 to the Andrew Gouché Kingston and the stock tone of the Super just felt meatier to me, which I preferred. The coil switching on the Super’s humbuckers means you get much more variety than on the KZ and AG. Of course, more options doesn’t necessarily mean “better” but I love it.

The Kingstons are all very solid - whichever one you go for you’ll be getting a really well put together instrument.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I have a bucketload of love for my Super 5. Sounds, looks and feels beautiful. Haven’t played a Super 4 or a KZ4 but I have played a Saratoga 4 which has the same neck. It’s possibly the nicest 4 string neck I’ve played. The asymmetry really is lovely in the hand.

I compared the Super 5 to the Andrew Gouché Kingston and the stock tone of the Super just felt meatier to me, which I preferred. The coil switching on the Super’s humbuckers means you get much more variety than on the KZ and AG. Of course, more options doesn’t necessarily mean “better” but I love it.

The Kingstons are all very solid - whichever one you go for you’ll be getting a really well put together instrument.

Cheers Cameron.  The coil switching is a real tempter - it just gives so many options.  Any idea on the nut width of the Super4 (and on the KZs for that matter)? Can't track them down anywhere.  Main downer seems to be lack of AP switching in the preamp.  Do you know if there's a Bart upgrade like with the KZs?