Why become a member? ×

Active Bass Batteries

steantval

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='328759' date='Nov 14 2008, 12:54 AM']Based on personal experience I would recommend against using rechargables in a bass unless you have a passive mode. When the rechargables lose current they collapse in minutes. With non-rechargables, the power drains more slowly giving you more warning to change. I buy 9v Durcel Procells in bulk off Ebay.[/quote]
Good point, 'tis why I make sure mine are full before a gig (pre-gig ritual test with a multimeter). I also test because in every charge-drain-recharge cycle the battery holds slightly less charge (dunno why) There will come a point when a full charge will not last 3 hours, but I suppose it'll be years before that happens. Aren't they good for something like 1000 recharges? it'll be 20 years at one charge per week before I need to look at a replacement, but I'm a paranoid bugger and hence the testing.

[quote name='SteveO' post='328826' date='Nov 14 2008, 07:22 AM']Good point, 'tis why I make sure mine are full before a gig (pre-gig ritual test with a multimeter). I also test because in every charge-drain-recharge cycle the battery holds slightly less charge (dunno why) There will come a point when a full charge will not last 3 hours, but I suppose it'll be years before that happens. Aren't they good for something like 1000 recharges? it'll be 20 years at one charge per week before I need to look at a replacement, but I'm a paranoid bugger and hence the testing.[/quote]
I've found the same thing with my rechargables. The manufacturers claim they can hold 100 cycles but in practice it seems to be more like 20 or 30.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='328775' date='Nov 14 2008, 12:25 AM']I dont think 18V ones last longer... they just have more output...[/quote]
Not strictly true mate, they have more headroom. That means the overall gain is the same but the circuit is capable of passing on transient peaks in the signal more faithfully. In other words, the loudness of the attack on a note is passed on more cleanly. Jonas Hellborg has been interested in reproducing the transients in his playing for quite a while, his signature Status bass had a 36v powered circuit. A number of circuits on the market such as those by EMG and Aguilar are capable of taking up to 27v or more. It seems to me this same interest has been behind the production of his signature warwick amps too.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='328776' date='Nov 14 2008, 12:26 AM']if my batteries pass the tongue check, they are good to use! when a battery is running low, your sound will start to distort, particularly the bassier strings, just make sure it suitably zaps your tongue before going on stage and its all good. change once a year-18months should be about right for a standard active[/quote]
There's no such thing as a standard active circuit. Normally the current draw depends on the op-amp that the circuit is built around. Some have hi fidelity and high draw, so you'll be lucky to get 3 months with a weekly gig . Others are low fi and last longer but are not so clean sounding. There's nothing wrong with these low draw circuits if you don't have a particularly hi-fi rig (for example valve based) and play live in a rock band or similar.

In any case, your battery life depends on how often you play and for how long. Eighteen months would be possible if you played mostly in your bedroom and had a low draw circuit.