Why become a member? ×

Amp / cab pairing info

scrumpymike

For what it's worth, here's a quick summary of what's working for me nowadays:

[b]Genzler Magellan 800 + 2 x BF One10s [/b]Works great in my mainly '60s/'70s covers band - nicely rounded, controlled vintage sounds with my Seymour Duncan Studio Bass permanently on, set as recommended for light compression unless otherwise required. I think the combination of a relatively clean amp with the warm 10" drivers works well. The bass I use is an active Maruszczyk Elwood 4 with medium-gauge rounds.

[b]Ashdown RM 500 EVO + BF Super Compact Gen 3 [/b]A nice set-up for the 7-pc original-material band that does everything from folk-rock to latino-style world music offering a wide range of sounds that always cut thru the mix. Apart from volume, tuning and switching, this set-up is pedal-free - I generally dial-in small amounts of compression and drive on the amp and reserve the 'secret weapon' (pre-shape button) for special occasions. The bass I use is a passive Mensinger Cazpar 4 with medium-gauge rounds.

Obviously, all of the above is totally subjective but I've found two set-ups delivering distinctive core sounds that suit me - different but equally pleasing. Also, you'd struggle to dial-in anything truly un-usable on either rig and I'd happily mix and match equipment in both bands if necessary subject to a bit of control tweakery. Oh, and last but not least - you won't come anywhere near a hernia carrying this lot.

Must say I'm chuffed - and it's only taken me 53 years to find it!! :D

Edited by scrumpymike

Personally I don't want to think about having to use different set-ups for different bands. My [b]Little Mark III > 2 VanderKley 112ext[/b] are my rig for every purpose. No matter what I play. "My sound" is usually all tone controlls at 12, VLE off and VPF at 1 'o clock. Some times I roll high mid and high somewhat off. I more or less do this to suit my own ears because I never hear anybody complain that my bass sounds too boomy or too punchy. I'm a happy bassplayer.

[quote name='JazzBass4624' timestamp='1507967906' post='3389006']
Personally I don't want to think about having to use different set-ups for different bands.
[/quote]

That wasn't really my main aim either. I wanted back-up kit that also extended the range of available sounds. These combinations represent the opposite ends of the tonal range, which just happens to suit the two different bands.