Why become a member? ×

Miura M2 Compressor

attackbass

Picked this up a few weeks ago whilst over in California.

I was previously a great fan of the EBS multicomp before selling it to use the compressor on my eden wt600 and then eventually compressor free using my trickfish rig. I was sold on it by Janek Gwizdalas little demo on youtube and also the few Miura demo videos with a few other well known bass players, just sounded what I was after from a compressor and decided it was worth taking advantage of my time in the states. I had considered the FEA labs Opti-fet but it just seemed that I would disappear down a compression rabbit hole trying to find the right setting! AFAIK Miura is Xotic but under a different new name, I think the guy had sold xotic and started Miura, which would explain the artists using his gear!

It really is an incredible compressor. So far I've found it very natural and warm sounding even at high ratio/fast attack settings without doing that overly squashed tone that I've experience on many previous compressors and remaining noise free. On subtle "normal" settings I would say the compression is very transparent as in you can't really hear the squash of the notes but at the same time it really does open up your bass tone adding warmth and clarity to the higher notes whilst evening everything out naturally. It's quite strange because you put it on and you think "it's not really doing much' and then you turn it off and you suddenly notice a huge difference between your bass with and without the m2

I have no idea if it's a VCA or optical compressor or whatever, but it does remind me a lot of a buzz optical compressor that was in the studio I once worked at.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on it if anyone is looking for a new compressor or thinking about buying one