Why become a member? ×

Power amps, can someone help please

kevvo66

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1505210249' post='3370192']
As I type, I realise this might be sounding a bit combatative, but I'm genuinely intrigued. I've been thinking towards using a separate power amp, but one thing I've not had the opportunity to do is compare different types, all other factors remaining the same. It's not even something I imagined the need to do, and if solid state power amps do bring any voicing or vibe to the table within sensible operation then that opens a whole can of worms I wasn't expecting, and would rather not have to consider!
[/quote]

I just wouldn't worry about it too much. As with many audio components for various uses, there tends to be a certain amount of convergence when you get into decent gear. Just go for a respected brand with a power rating well in excess of what you ever envisage needing and seriously its a non-issue, it will pretty faithfully put out what you put in but louder.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1505671541' post='3373477']

The other thing is that if you design a solid state power amp with "character" your deviating from well tried and tested designs that have been refined over decades and withstood countless millions of hours of abuse. It makes much more sense in every way to have a highly linear power stage and do all the funky stuff in the preamp.
[/quote]

Dead right. Commercially, a manufacturer would not be wise to make a power amp too niche or "characterful". It would likely severely restrict the number of people who would buy it.