Why become a member? ×

Studying walking lines

Mike

Hi all,

I'm finally playing more jazz! Every other week I'm playing with a jazz fusion band, which is a real challenge but I'm very happy with how it's going. Because the venue demands some standards being played, I've been doing a lot of walking over Rhythm Changes and various tunes like Autumn Leaves - the "Mustang Sally" and "Johnny B Goode" of the Jazz World!

I thought it would be good to get down a version of Giant Steps under my fingers just in case that comes up - I was wondering if anyone knew of a copy of a walking Giant Steps bassline available online?

I am going to transcribe a few versions when I get the chance and can muddle through on my own reading the changes, but I thought it would be useful to have an ace up my sleeve in case it ever gets called on a gig I don't fancy reading bizarre changes at about 300bpm!

Input gratefully received!

Regards

Mike

[quote name='Mike' post='320753' date='Nov 3 2008, 10:42 AM']Hi all,

I'm finally playing more jazz! Every other week I'm playing with a jazz fusion band, which is a real challenge but I'm very happy with how it's going. Because the venue demands some standards being played, I've been doing a lot of walking over Rhythm Changes and various tunes like Autumn Leaves - the "Mustang Sally" and "Johnny B Goode" of the Jazz World!

I thought it would be good to get down a version of Giant Steps under my fingers just in case that comes up - I was wondering if anyone knew of a copy of a walking Giant Steps bassline available online?

I am going to transcribe a few versions when I get the chance and can muddle through on my own reading the changes, but I thought it would be useful to have an ace up my sleeve in case it ever gets called on a gig I don't fancy reading bizarre changes at about 300bpm!

Input gratefully received!

Regards

Mike[/quote]

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/take-some-giant/jul-06/22034"]http://www.bassplayer.com/article/take-som...nt/jul-06/22034[/url]

has an example line (split into 3 or 4 links) for you to follow.
On the Atlantic CD re-release there are two takes of GS; one is a slower version that may be easier to grab

Cheers

Mick

[i]Load[/i] of tunes... Though I'm newbie into jazz (transcribies aren't by me, by the way.. :) ), so, I don't know, what could be really [i]interesting[/i]..

Say tunes (form would be good also - Blues, or AABA, etc..), and I'll look for them..

Edited by Faithless

There's a whole section of Mark Levine's "[i]The Jazz Theory Book[/i]" which covers [i]Giant Steps[/i]. Might be worth having a look. Apparently some of the playing from the rhythm section on the earliest recordings was complete bollocks 'cos they couldn't get their heads round what Coltrane was doing. Not being a jazzer myself, I am going purely on what I've read.