Why become a member? ×

Which bartolini Jazz Pickups

DanH71

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1499374559' post='3331196']

So you think the NJ1's above the original suggestion of 9cbjs /or 9j1s?

Thanks for the help guys! Will check out the NJ1s now.
[/quote]

Can't find NJ1 from a bartolini or google web search?

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1499374622' post='3331197']
Sorry i meant 9J1's
[/quote]

yeh thanks! Realised the error after posting.
Will try to find a decent YouTube clip of these being used fingerstyle.

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1499374195' post='3331191']
No, I get that, but was looking for a pup that did that and added the potential warmth and richness of a wal 'type' sound minus the expensive exotic woods and expensive hardware and name;)
[/quote]

Well, the good news is that the reason a Wal sounds like a Wal is 99% because of the pickups and electronics. The bad news is that there's no way you're going to get that from a J pickup. A Wal pickup is a massive ceramic magnet humbucker with two coils for each string, as compared to your regular J pickups which will have one coil (two if noise-cancelling) for the entire pickup. I know there is at least one pickup maker who does offer Wal style pickups; I believe they're called Bassculture, and I know Maruszczyk offered their pickups as options a while ago. I can't tell you how close they'll be to the real deal, but on paper they do sound very convincing.

Of course, that's only one part of the Wal sound. If you're looking for the Mk series sound, you'll need a filter-style preamp. ACG makes one which should probably land you in that general area.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1499379136' post='3331240']

Well, the good news is that the reason a Wal sounds like a Wal is 99% because of the pickups and electronics. The bad news is that there's no way you're going to get that from a J pickup. A Wal pickup is a massive ceramic magnet humbucker with two coils for each string, as compared to your regular J pickups which will have one coil (two if noise-cancelling) for the entire pickup. I know there is at least one pickup maker who does offer Wal style pickups; I believe they're called Bassculture, and I know Maruszczyk offered their pickups as options a while ago. I can't tell you how close they'll be to the real deal, but on paper they do sound very convincing.

Of course, that's only one part of the Wal sound. If you're looking for the Mk series sound, you'll need a filter-style preamp. ACG makes one which should probably land you in that general area.

Thankyou!!!!!!
[/quote]