Why become a member? ×

Ashbory Mk2 pre amps

NoirBass

Following a recent for sale post regarding a Mk2 Ashbory bass, I was contacted by forum member Nick Riffed enquiring as to some replacement pre amps that I had been given by a friend who was one of the original builders of the Mk2’s.

Nick had acquired an Ashbory Mk2 that had originally belonged to Alun Ashworth-Jones (the inventor or the Ashbory). I hope Nick won’t mind me posting an excerpt from our conversation;

“Next year will be the 10th anniversary Alun's death and I would love the mk2 to be up and running in tribute to him.
Sounds a bit daft in some ways but I think his contribution to the world of Bass needs to be recognised and that would be a step in the right direction.”

Needless to say I helped out. Whilst we had had this conversation I contacted my friend (who had given me the pre amps) to tell him what had happened and he informed me that he still had some of the original batch of Ashbory Mk2 pre amps left.

A few other Mk2 owners asking about the replacement pre’s have since contacted me. I am therefore writing this to gauge interest from other Mk2 owners who are in need of a replacement pre amp for their instrument. I could source a batch and them get them sent out.

Being as the Mk2’s is such a rare beast (I believe the run to be just 90), I feel is worth trying to prolong the usability of the few existing examples. I also imagine that these are the last available replacements parts available in the world so would be keen to hear from owners seeking this support.

Please feel free to post a reply on this thread or PM me to let me know if you would like me to try and get you a Mk2 pre amp. I am very keen to make this offer open only to Mk2 owners and not for builders wishing to build an new instrument round the pre or install one in anything other than a Mk2 Ashbory.

Cheers

Chris (Noirbass)

Edited by NoirBass
  • Like 1

Hi Chris.
More than happy for you to copy extracts of our email on here.

It could also be interesting to have a idea of how many are left and roughly where they are.
They were never exported commercially so I presume that the majority of them are in the UK although I did hear of one being sold in the states about a year or so ago. I know the whereabouts of 4.
Please folks, if you owned or still own a Mk2 or if you know someone who owns a Mk2 Ashbory could you please put a note on here. It would be appreciated.
Production never got into three figures but they are fairly rugged little buggers so I'm hoping most are still about. Clive Cherry produced these and they sold through the Bass Centre in 1990/91.
Apart from the standard black ones there were 10 made, I believe, from Mahogany with a Maple top.
I have only ever seen these in photo's and would love to hear from any one that owns one.
Cheers,

Nick.

• Like 1