Why become a member? ×

REM Re-discovered

Hobbayne

There are two versions of Radio Free Europe. The first was recorded for Hibtone records and the second for the debut album 'Murmur'
Although the band hated it at the time, they still prefer the first version which I find a bit muddy. While I prefer the second more punchy version.
The 1st version is on a compilation call 'Eponymous' if you wanna compare them.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1480629627' post='3186036']
I passed up the opportunity to see them on the Monster tour (in Cardiff I think it was). I've not made many bad decisions in my life, but that's definitely one of them. :(
[/quote]

I was at Southampton University in the late 80s, and REM were shopping around for a few small venues to do warm up gigs for the Green tour. Their requirements were only an on-campus hall with a couple of hundred capacity. The only room suitable was already booked by the Greek Society. Ents pleaded with the Greeks to shift but they wouldn't be having it. REM ended playing elsewhere. And that's my "REM gigs I missed out on" story

(I saw them on the Monster tour in the mid-90s at Milton Keynes Bowl. Better was a few years later at Brixton Academy when it was the 20th anniversary of recording Fables Of The Reconstruction somewhere miserable in north London, they played Feeling Gravitys Pull/Maps And Legends/Driver 8/Life And How To Live It as a mid-set tribute)