Why become a member? ×

My website

Steve A

Hello everyone,

Just a note to say hello and that I've finally got myself a website online. It's pretty empty at the moment and needs some tweaking too, but I wanted to get something up anyway to have a web presence and use it to promote my gigging, teaching and bass related stuff.

Take a look at my empty web space!!

[url="http://www.steveamadeo.com"]http://www.steveamadeo.com[/url]

Steve

Edited by funkmunky

Hey Steve,

I really like the site, be really good when the last few pages are done.

Btw I think we've met when you were playing with Ian Parker in Swindon. I was with Fraser Tilley at the "Famous Ale House" in Swindon I think Fraser may have even have been promoting the gig for Ian.

So it's fair to say I've seen you play......unless I've dropped a complete bollock and it wasn't you.

Any good start to the site and good luck

Julian

Hi Julian,

Thanks for the comments. Yeah I remember the gig there. Weren't you playing a gig that night too? I remember chatting and maybe that was you?

Thanks for the comments on the website too. It's just a nice simple thing i wanted to do, nothing flash, but hopefully tasteful that would serve a purpose.

Hope you're well and send my best wishes to Fraser if you see him anytime soon!

All the best,

Steve

[quote name='funkmunky' post='303337' date='Oct 9 2008, 09:17 PM']Thanks for the comments. Yeah I remember the gig there. Weren't you playing a gig that night too? I remember chatting and maybe that was you?[/quote]

We wre chatting on the stage (!) afterwards, not playing that night but we had played that venue a while back. Was a good gig although I'm not a blues fan per se. Also saw you guys with Walter Trout at the Arts centre in Swindon later in the year I think. Does that make me a stalker? :)

Will pass on your regards to Fraser when I see him!

Hi Steve ...
Your links page reads like my gear list :) When do you get a Shuker?

Very nice look to your site. All the essential headings are there and it will be good to see how the content pans out when you add it.,

Yor might like to put where you are in your header .. it's a World World Web so location info is essential.

"Bass Player and Bass Tutor, Birmingham, UK" on the header will say so much more .. :huh:
Also something on the contact page. That's the second place I'd look to see where you are in the world ..
I appreciate that you have your location on other pages but people may not get that far, (fickle surfers!) and google may not return you for a search for "bass tuition Birmingham" unless you stress the point.
Also there are other Birminghams, and you have a dot com address so you may get enquiries from Alabama :huh: Fine but a long way to go to teach every week ...

In a typical Mac website styleee your text is fixed size which is a pain for us older eye people ... if possible you should change that to allow us to use the browser controls to change the size.

Not being technical, or a Mac user, I don't understand how the Mac built sites make their text un-copyable but they do and yours is. That's a pain if someone wants to copy and paste your Bio text for a blog entry or press item of other beneficial thing .. However Google should be able to see it so all is not lost.

There's a fair amount of stuff you can do to help Google (and thus searching people) find your site.
Probably best to read my website thread (linked from my sig) and then PM me for any further stuff, if you like.

OG

Old Git, thanks so much for all the useful info! There's a load of stuff there I hadn't considered so I really do appreciate it.

I was up til 3am this morning tweaking things and will spend the afternoon working on the things you mentioned.

All the best!

Steve

I would really appreciate comments from PC users using Internet Explorer to let me know of any faults in my website. All links (other than the links page itself) should be white and underlined turning red when you scroll over it. The links in the links page should be white, and all background boxes containing text in the gigs, media and contact page should be nicely proportioned.

Thanks for all your help!

Steve

[quote name='funkmunky' post='303852' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:57 PM']I would really appreciate comments from PC users using Internet Explorer to let me know of any faults in my website. All links (other than the links page itself) should be white and underlined turning red when you scroll over it. The links in the links page should be white, and all background boxes containing text in the gigs, media and contact page should be nicely proportioned.

Thanks for all your help!

Steve[/quote]

You need to go to a cyber cafe or somesuch and log on using the PC defaults. Most people use IE 6 or IE7 and a screen resolution of 1024x768 these days.
It's usually a reveletion for site owners when they see their gorgeously well designed site on a screen set to that, with huge tool bars open at the top and bottom and the favorites box open down the left side.

Suddenly only 2/3 of yur page is visible .. However a [b]lot[/b] of people surf like that 'cos that's how the computer was when they bought it 3 years ago, or their company won't let them change anything or they are afraid that if they chage screen settings they will erase their bank details ... or whatever ...

If you make just one change, Steve, reduce the image on the home page to about half the size it is now and add key-word rich text to the home page describing exactly what you do, where you are and who you have worked with.

You get 5 seconds to impress the visitor to any page on your site but the home page is key.
in 5 seconds you want them to know that this is the site of the bass player they are looking for, and where you are and what you do, and that it's worth spending more of their precious time digging deeper into your site.
Otherwise they will hit the back button and take the next hit down in the google results page ...