Why become a member? ×

Vintage Bass Relic?

CaptainBlackarm16

Hi folks,

So not too long back I had my 1977 Fender jazz refinished by Doug Wilkes of Wilkes guitars. He did a fantastic job of refinishing the bass in Nitro Gloss black, which needed doing, as I purchased the bass from The Bass Gallery in Camden with a terrible refinish by the previous owner which turned a milky green after a while :S

Anyway, I got used to the bass being quite beaten up and worn in, I also preferred the character it gave to the bass, just not the awful color and uneven finish, So I'm thinking maybe a light relic job, which obviously matches the fact that the bass is old, The neck and headstock are nicely aged with dinks etc, but I feel the body is bit too new looking and wouldn't mind it being lightly relic'd and maybe some checking?

I was wondering if there are any luthiers around Staffordshire/Derbyshire who'd be wiling to take on a relic job?

Cheers
C

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1476397856' post='3154054']
WezV on this forum (not sure how active but you can also contact him on The Fretboard forum) is a very experienced and skilled builder and finisher. Some of the recent relic work I've seen has been superb. I'm pretty sure he lives in Burton-on-Trent
[/quote]

Would you be up for it mate? Ive seen some of your work is stunning...

[quote name='CaptainBlackarm16' timestamp='1476400490' post='3154070']
Would you be up for it mate? Ive seen some of your work is stunning...
[/quote]
I'd love to say yes, but relicing is something I've never tried and I have a principle not to experiment on other people's instruments - I would always try out new techniques and approaches on my own basses and guitars first....

WezV is very approachable - I really do think he's your best first point of call. If it's not for him, I know he has a very wide contact group... :)

I've done relic work. Can't say I enjoy it much, but I've done it.

If you're interested, drop me a PM.

I won't pretend I know a quick route to "checking". I know there *was* the way of heating and freezing the nitro. But new nitro has that "flaw" removed. So I won't pretend I know a shortcut.

Edited by Grangur