Why become a member? ×

Shipping a bass ?

flippyfloop

[quote name='flippyfloop' post='299346' date='Oct 4 2008, 01:45 PM']Hi,
I may be shipping an expensive bass from UK to Italy. Anybody got any tips ? Which courier should I use ? how should I package the bass ? Cheers[/quote]

I'd use it as an excuse to go to Italy and eat good food :)

I've shipped a lot of basses in the UK so I can maybe help with the packing aspect. I've always tried to ship in a hard case (that the bass fits in properly). After that break up some cardboard boxes and wrap and tape up the case paying particular attention to the corners. Don't forget to put all the to and from details inside every layer, just in case. I did once ship in a gig bag. I used LOTS of bubble wrap both inside and outside the gig bag and then heavy plastic sheeting taped around the outside. All went fine.

The very cheapest way to send anything is to find a friendly storekeeper who has an account with a courier. Failing that you are at the mercy of the post office or the likes of Mailboxes &c (expensive!!)

If you can do so use the original shipping box that the bass travelled from the manufacturers, if not see if you can get a box from your local music shop. If the manufacturer is happy for it to go halfway round the world in their box, then that is good enough for me.