Why become a member? ×

Flatwounds?

bobbass4k

I've recently fixed my project fretless (I defretted my first bass), as i've previously only ever put groundwounds on it, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend some economy (<£20) flatwounds? I'm after a warm, but not flat tone (which has been my experience of grounds). I only really use it for noodling, so i dont want to spend a bomb, thusfar [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/601-picato_stainless_steel_flatwound_bass_45_105"]these[/url] picato's look pretty good, any opinions?

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='298817' date='Oct 3 2008, 06:32 PM']I've recently fixed my project fretless (I defretted my first bass), as i've previously only ever put groundwounds on it, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend some economy (<£20) flatwounds? I'm after a warm, but not flat tone (which has been my experience of grounds). I only really use it for noodling, so i dont want to spend a bomb, thusfar [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/601-picato_stainless_steel_flatwound_bass_45_105"]these[/url] picato's look pretty good, any opinions?[/quote]

The Picato's are very good for the price... I found them to have a lower tension than Rotosounds and a completely different feel under the fingers... they aren't bright either when first put on so they don't take long to break in, but I wouldn't call them warm either. I've never had mine on a fretless, so I can't say whether they give any mwaaah or not...

I'm actually hanging on to my Picato set to put onto my Encore P-Bass clone when I get around to defretting it... That's about all it's good for...

The Rotosound SM77 jazz flats are on my V950B and Warrior IV and my Squier has got LaBella Black Nylon Tapewounds on it... (got them second hand)