Why become a member? ×

Acoustic basses

ronnus

Hi peeps, has anyone ever set up an acoustic bass, or had one set up? I ask as I took delivery of an [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/ac_page.php?AREA_ID=3&PAGE_ID=115&COLOR=CL01"][color="#0000FF"]Ibanez EWB20[/color][/url] today, and the ones I've tried in shops have all had a slightly higher action than my current Harley Benton acoustic. I notice Ibanez have supplied a spare saddle, is this so one can muck about with the action and still get back to factory settings if one muffs it?

The action was especially high on my one, as the neck was broken at the heel :) However courier collected it this afternoon, should have a replacement soon. First ever problem with a long distance purchase!

Here's a pic of an un-borked one for anyone who's innarested :huh:

I bought an older Ibanez acoustic recently and as soon as I got it, I tightened the truss to try and straighten the neck a bit. When I rescue it from the depths of Liverpool (I left it at my guitarists house), I intend to do the same as I did with my acoustic guitar:

Stand the saddle up on a desk as if it was in the bridge-slot and rest a flat edge against a bit of 2x2 wood. Place both on a sheet of fine sandpaper and holding the wood with your hands, use your thumbs to shift the saddle left and right, putting some pressure downward as you do. You'll maintain a flat angle and the sanding with be slow and controlled.

Another tip is to colour in the bottom of the saddle with a graphite pencil, then you can check you're filing evenly as all the graphite gets rubbed of evenly.

Dan

Thanks for this guys, good advice. I suspected the saddle may be able to be sanded, cheers for confirming :)

Got my replacement bass this morning, all credit to imuso, who sent it out before they'd even got the broken one back to see what the problem was. The spares bag contains an extra saddle as I mentioned, and on closer inspection it has "graduation marks" moulded into the sides and centre, presumably to keep it level when sanding it down. It even came with what appears to be a selection of shims, I assume to allow the saddle to be raised again, which is a nice touch.