Why become a member? ×

Love Supreme Saturday mini review

julesb

Native Dancer - Not heard of them before but thoroughly enjoyed their set.

Esperanza Spalding - I've been wanting to see her for ages and she was absolutely brilliant even though it took about 4 songs to sort out the sound...grrrr. Amazing talent! There was one heckle of 'bring back esperanza!' which I thought was funny as the message of her new stuff is not playing predictable roles and having unconditional love...

[b] [size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][url="http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/03/arts/music/review-john-scofield-brad-mehldau-and-mark-guiliana.html"]John Scofield, Brad Mehldau and Mark Guiliana[/url]- Schofield is one of my favourite guitarists but I didn't last long with this. [/font][/size][/b]

[b] [size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Drumming was not my thing at all. I was really looking forward to this having not heard this trio before. Schofield has that great [/font][/size][/b]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]sound whatever guitar he's playing (telecaster this time) and was even playing bass (short scale - mustang?) but I just found it uninspiring.[/font][/size]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Stanley Clarke - Stanley was/is obviously amazing and he and his alembics sounded great (through 2 ampeg 8x10) but his drummer was really not my thing. He made animal out of the muppets seem like Des O'connor. I've never seen anyone look like they want to destroy their kit with such a brutal assault. Stanley seemed to love him though so what do I know :mellow:[/font]

Missed Eric Truffaz while watching Stanley but a mate said he was fantastic. I did catch his bass player sound checking and he was great.

Lianne Le Havas - Class act. Really enjoyed this set. Genuinely lovely and a great singer. Freda? from Native dancer was on backing vocals and the band were great. Bass player was flipping between a Ripper and a P. The Ripper won and sounded awesome through a vintage ampeg and not what I expected in this type of music but it really worked.

Grace Jones- I'm not exaggerating when I say this was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. Total superstar. Charisma to spare. Costume change every song with hilarious commentary while changing. She's 68 for goodness sake! and didn't stop for breath. She even hoolahooped through all of Slave to the rhythm at the end of the set. I want some of what she's having! (she said it was whisky to warm her up) Brilliant band that were perfect in every way. Bassist was playing a Jazz through Aguilar. Sound was mind blowing from the first note. How did they manage that? I didn't expect this at all and I'm so glad I was there for this.

Crap weather and a fiver for a can of beer but some really good music.

Cheers

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1467617714' post='3084796']
Did you catch Esperanza Spalding?

edit: I've actually read your post properly now.
[/quote]

😄 Fantastic player. Only musician I saw all day playing a fretless... I forgot to to mention she had some sort of mechanism on her waist where she hooked her bass on dispensing the need for a strap. Not seen that before. Might be of interest to those here who have shoulder probs...

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1467634833' post='3084975']
Fantastic player. Only musician I saw all day playing a fretless... I forgot to to mention she had some sort of mechanism on her waist where she hooked her bass on dispensing the need for a strap. Not seen that before. Might be of interest to those here who have shoulder probs...
[/quote]

Yep, I saw her at the Barbican a couple of years ago doing the Chamber Music show. Bit polite for me, so I was slow on the uptake with D+Evolution, which is a smashing album. Sad to have missed the show, but I'm seeing Stanley tonight at the Jazz Caff and Giuliana later in the year - those three were the main attractions for the weekend for me.

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1467542272' post='3084354']
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Stanley Clarke - Stanley was/is obviously amazing and he and his alembics sounded great (through 2 ampeg 8x10) but his drummer was really not my thing. He made animal out of the muppets seem like Des O'connor. I've never seen anyone look like they want to destroy their kit with such a brutal assault. Stanley seemed to love him though so what do I know :mellow:[/font]

Missed Eric Truffaz while watching Stanley but a mate said he was fantastic. I did catch his bass player sound checking and he was great.
[/quote]

See what you mean about Stan's drummer. Have a look whose name is over the door, sunshine. Otherwise we heard Pork Pie, a bit of Lopsy Lu and some of Captain Senor Mouse. A bit disappointing overall though - I saw Stan with Hiromi earlier in the year for a much more musical and satisfying experience. Perhaps I'm getting sensible in my middle years!

It was a 90-minute set, and some guy said to the security man on the way out "why was it so short?" (of course security man was clueless). I can see where he's coming from for a £35 ticket, especially when showtime was advertised for 8.30, actual stage time was 9pm, curfew at 10.30. Stan wanted to do more but was under pressure from the venue to clear off.

The new Jazz Cafe is pretty swish mind you - they've got rid of that bar that created the terrible bottleneck and the place has a much more open feel.

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1467542272' post='3084354']
Lianne Le Havas - Class act. Really enjoyed this set. Genuinely lovely and a great singer. Freda? from Native dancer was on backing vocals and the band were great. Bass player was flipping between a Ripper and a P. The Ripper won and sounded awesome through a vintage ampeg and not what I expected in this type of music but it really worked.
[/quote]

She's great isn't she. I caught her on Jools a few years ago doing a solo set and Mrs Knob was also keen from the get-go. We've seen her a few times in London venues and various festivals (perhaps even an early Love Supreme).

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1467708645' post='3085458']
£35! Makes the festival day ticket at £52 seem like super value. Funny thing was I saw the drummer setting up at LS and he looked like the most laid back person there.
[/quote]

I liked his hair and sunglasses!

Yep, If I could have made LS I'd have happily gone along for Esperanza/Stanley/SMG then wandered off home happy.