Why become a member? ×

Took the plunge, bought a Jack & Danny Jazz Short Scale.

torby

As a guitar player of over 40 years, I've decided to take up bass, this is to work with my son who is playing guitar and a this stage doesn't really have the kudos to snap up a good bass player.

I gave it a go originally with a Westfield PB with maple neck, actually quite nice....but my stubby fingers and short spread doesn't really cut it.

Reading the forums, I noticed reports on the J&D at only £69...,.so I ordered one.

Have to say really impressed and surprised how narrow the neck was, but easy to get on with coming from guitar. I'd read reports of sharp fret edges, but I have to say the model I got didn't have that problem, the string height is quite good as well. I had asked on here about dropping the E to a D to play muse (sons choice) and reviews weren't favourable, but it works. That may be due to the fact I attack the strings like a guitar player and never really had to hit the strings hard, so it works for me.

Only problem and that may be due to my playing style as a guitar player, there's a lot of string noise/fretting/handling noise, wasn't noticeable on guitar playing, but this is a different beast, may have to use one of my old noise gates til I learn more.

Glad to have taken the first step to be joining the fraternity and will now be my "go to " web site for all the best info.

Torby

Brand new roundwound bass strings are very zingy to start with, you'll find they settle down after a while.
And I'm not sure what strings the J&D comes with, but you can probably do better.

Whenever I buy a new (or different) bass the first thing I do is change the strings.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Edited by discreet

• 2 weeks later...