Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Vanderkley amp?

tertiumquid

D class amps are lighter for a couple of reasons. The main one is that they use switching transistors - on or off - and are very efficient so generate less heat and need less in the way of heat sinks and cooling fans (although most apart from Tecamp and Acoustic Image seem to have fans). The second reason is that they are usually combined with a switched-mode power supply that does not need a traditional, heavy mains tranformer. The early class D amps did not sound so good, allegedly. Since Bang and Olufsen released their ICE modules the case for class D solid state amps has become quite compelling (not everyone uses the ICE modules, but many makers do). I suppose that for some applications, the classic Class A/B valve and transistor amps might sound better, but for gigging no one has ever complained about the Class D amps I have used (Euphonic Audio, Genz Benz, Tecamp and now Genzler).

If you don't want heavy then Class D is the way to go. Bass Direct (the supplier I happen to know) has a good range of amps to try if you can get to Warwick.

Edited by DBerriff