Why become a member? ×

Aria TA65 1990 Vintage

I bought this about 3 years ago just before switching to bass. It came with a cracked scarf joint but Steve Robinson, (Manchester Guitartech), repaired it and did a beautiful set-up for me. He also pointed out it was a common occurrence but "will not happen again" after he fixed it.
I have never really played it as I switched to Bass not long after the purchase. I have tried various forums and cannot get much info on it. It is undoubtedly post-Matsumoku and judging by the serial number was made in 1990. Twin Humbuckers, 2 Vol and 2 Tone controls and pick-up selector switch. All gold plated hardware and superb binding. It is in outstanding condition with one barely visible Buckle Rash mark on the rear.
One of the bands I play in has a pro guitarist and I got him to "road test" it for me recently. He did this during the set break but was that impressed he kept it on for most of the second set and he normally plays a Les Paul. He couldn't believe it was a 20 year old guitar.
It is an appreciating asset and I am selling it for what it cost me. It comes with a brand new fitted case. £195
There is another thread on the site about this guitar when I was trying to find some info about it, but I can't trace it unfortunately.

[attachment=13581:TA65_1.JPG][attachment=13582:TA65_2.JPG]
[attachment=13583:TA65_4.JPG][attachment=13584:TA65_5.JPG][attachment=13585:TA65_6.JPG]

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='noelk27' post='287959' date='Sep 20 2008, 01:08 PM']I have to say I'm quite interested - I've been thinking about getting something hollow-body, 6-string (non bass). Can you show the repair a little more clearly?[/quote]
Hi Noel, I will try and get a better pic of it. None that i have taken show it up very well, but then again it is a good repair.

[quote name='noelk27' post='287959' date='Sep 20 2008, 01:08 PM']Can you show the repair a little more clearly?[/quote]
This is about as good as i can get. As you can see your face in the neck it is very difficult to get a good picture. The joint is slightly visible in some places but it was a clean crack, (ie a failure of the original glue). As it is an Acrylic finish, Steve did not want to risk touching the area up as it could have ruined the rest of the finish. Obviously it does not affect the playability at all.
[attachment=13596:TA65_C1.JPG][attachment=13597:TA65_C2.JPG]

[quote name='BassBunny' post='287980' date='Sep 20 2008, 12:50 PM']Hi Noel, I will try and get a better pic of it. None that i have taken show it up very well, but then again it is a good repair.[/quote]

In which case - and this isn't Schadenfreude - the harder you find it to photograph, the more I like it!

[quote name='noelk27' post='288003' date='Sep 20 2008, 02:35 PM']Schadenfreude[/quote]
Now that was a Google job for a definition
[i]"A malicious satisfaction obtained from the misfortunes of others"[/i]:)
Suppose you are right. Previous owners daughter knock guitar off stand and cracks Scarf joint.
I get it at a very reasonable price have it repaired and someone then gets it cheap due to MY misfortune of wanting to sell it at no profit.
But not to the dealer who has one advertised at £345 at the moment........
Already told him where to go....

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='BassBunny' post='291229' date='Sep 24 2008, 07:15 PM']Now that was a Google job for a definition
[i]"A malicious satisfaction obtained from the misfortunes of others"[/i]:)[/quote]

Actually, I just meant for putting you to the trouble of taking a better, more detail snapshot of the repair. But I see your point.

My dilemma: I like Aria, and the older the better; but I get sceptical about set necks and through necks that have been repaired. Still contemplating.

[quote name='noelk27' post='292377' date='Sep 26 2008, 02:36 AM']but I get sceptical about set necks and through necks that have been repaired. Still contemplating.[/quote]
I know what you mean. I sent Steve Robinson pics of the crack before I bought it. If he hadn't been happy that it was a clean failure of the original glue and thus a straightforward repair I would not have bought it originally. He has his reputation to consider and I didn't want to buy trouble.
Just one of those things. An itch I wanted to scratch and I switched to Bass before I could scratch it :)