Why become a member? ×

Hi Everybody in Basschat World

BigBadBassman

Hi Guys,

Just registered yesterday so thought I'd better introduce myself.

I'm a semi-pro player based on the sunny (?) South Coast and I'm well into my 4th decade of playing the bass. I've more basses than one man deserves, but my goto instrument is a much modded Tokai Jazz - Seymour Duncan active pups, 3 way pre-amp and Badass bridge. Having said that I've just got a Sandberg California JM5 which is quickly becoming my main squeeze. For amplification I've gone small and compact - a Phil Jones Bass Suitcase combo and a 4B extension cabinet. Plenty of power, really clear sound, fits in the boot of the car and dosen't do my back in!

Over the years I've mostly played Blues but recently started playing Jazz - [i]nice[/i]. I'm building up my chops but must admit that most of the theorey goes in one ear and out the other. Also just started a new project playing anthemic rock and pop - a challenge in so far as I've got 40 + new numbers to learn but it is a laugh :).

Here's a question for you all - what's the gig scene like in your area? I'm still playing regularly, but I seem to be going to more jam nights rather than doing the number of paying gigs I used to.

I think Basschat is a brilliant forum for like minded people to exchange views on a subject I love - the Bass! If anything my love of all things Bass has grown stronger and there is nothing more satisfying than locking in with the drummer and driving the band along.

So that's a brief intro to me - keep boppin'

Tim

Hi Tim. Welcome to the bestest site going! Here in (not so sunny) Weston super mare we have a thriving Jam night scene. I dont do so many these days as it can be quite variable. We have some nice venues, Scallys being my fave, hosting the likes of Phil Hilborne and Larry Miller and of course the great Cliff Moore with his band 'Saffron Monkey'. Im currently in three bands which along with my day job keeps me pretty busy. You will find the guys on here to be 'diamond geezers'. Enjoy. Steve