Why become a member? ×

Eden WTX500 - gig review

doc40hz

Been a big fan of Eden gear for a years, working my way up from a Nemesis NC210 (a truly awesome combo) to a Metro and now to my main head which is a WT550 which I absolutely love.

I needed a backup amp and I saw that the WTX500 was being sold new for £299. I took the plunge, but I have to say I was a bit worried about things I had read about its volume.

I use a Barefaced Super Twin ( I think it is, 2x12 with tweeter) which is 4Ohm.

The WTX500 is plenty loud enough for gigs. I gigged last night in a fairly large pub, probably around 200 people, busy. No PA support. The band is a LOUD rock band with a hard hitting drummer playing a Sonor kit. Amp sounded full and great. It was limiting towards the end of the gig, but it still sounded fine.

I also tried it at a band rehearsal through an 8ohm Trace Elliot 2x10 and it was sounding fine too - even being asked to turn down after getting a bit enthusiastic with slapping on Papa Dont Preach.

I think perhaps some people use the Enhance knob a little too much which most def will sap your volume or make the amp limit easier by boosting the extreme lows. I keep it off. I also run the EQ pretty much flat, sometimes adding a little bit of upper mid for more attack (and I mean a little bit, between 12 and 1 o'clock is plenty to make an audible difference).

If you want a nice lightweight head then this really is great. I have the nifty carry case for it too, and it means I can walk into a gig with two basses on my back (thanks to my Mono double case), my Barefaced in one hand, my amp slung round my neck and my stand in the other hand. Brilliant! For convenience, I might make this my main gigging head - there aint much difference in the sound.

Negative points -the only thing I don't like is the Upper Mid Frequency - 2.2Khz. The way I play I seem to get a better attack from around 1 Khz. However, this is a very very small point. Nit picking if anything.

These amps are going really cheap new for some reason - I would defo consider it, though probably for gigging you would need a 4ohm load to get the most out it.

I have recently acquired one of these too and I'm really pleased with it. Like doc40hz, I'm inclined to run it mostly flat with the enhance off. The clarity is great and I'm certain power won't be an issue for me. I haven't yet gigged it but it sounds big and clean through a single TC RS112. I may choose to add a second 112, but doubt it will be truly necessary for me as I never really play without PA support.

The case is indeed brilliant, both protective and comfortable to wear, with storage enough for a power lead and two speakon cables too. I wanted a 'single-trip-from-the-car' setup that could give me hi-fi for gospel that I could dirty up a bit for old RnB. This ticks the boxes. An added bonus is the bass boost with its reggae, subby goodness, although I'm loath to use it at home as the foundations of the building could be in jeopardy!

I picked mine up from the marketplace here for £250, so a £300 retail price sounds like a bargain. I believe Eden have recently introduced a couple of new lightweight amps, so I suspect these are being sold off now.

Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Tobie

• 4 years later...

(First time i've posted on a Bass chat!!!) 

I've had the Eden WTX500 now for around 3 Years , we were gigging around 2-3 times a Week . Its held up fantastically!! Its build really well and keeps even better if you keep it in the Carry case. Its still like brand new. I arrived at this amp when I saw a friend of mine ( Who is one of them that eat , sleeps and breaths the bass ) Used an Old U.S.A built Eden WT550 . Sounded brilliant through his old Eden 4x10 . Now he was really into that sound and was happy to lug all that around to every gig. However my band members all had full time jobs and just want lighter gear . I asked him about the newer Eden products (2012- Onwards) and he said that it was all about the U.S Eden. I then bought a Wt550 off ebay. It arrived broke !!! Very strange had a nightmare getting the money back bloke new it was dodgy . I had a friend of mine who was an amp builder/fixer take a look. He said he was done with but he raised the point saying the newer Eden amps were a lot easier to get parts for and even Marshall ( Who own Eden now ) would struggle to fix older amps . So after I got my money back I went on the hunt !!! I went to Birmingham(U.K) and tried out some other amps at the music shops . I wont mention brands but they just didn't have the features I needed or the Sound I ever took the GF with me and did the " Stand over there and say which one sounds best " Test . I arrived at the Eden WTX264. Again it was ok but didn't have the Pre/Post Di and other Push /Pull knobs the WTX500 had ( For some reason it didn't) Tried it for one gig and it is powerful enough to Gig we play a wedding of 150 People and it stud up through the Eden 1x 12 with us D.Iing the head. I then saw an Old Stock Eden WTX500 from a dealer up north . Send the Eden wtx264 back and got me the 500. That's bin it!! Sounds ace, compact , its just a "Bass players amp" . I had a Fender Rumble 500 whith was ace but still fiddly to fit in my car (Small car!!) before that a Peavy Tour 700. Again all ace amps in there own way but were very Mid heavy and abit honkey . I'd love about more options like what you'd get off the Eden new Eden WTP900/600 but they way a tone . I bet they sound amazing!!! I'm waiting for Eden to eventually release an updated range of Heads that are Class D but with 2020 standard Pre amps ( Be cool to have a WTP 800 as a light weight head ) We'll but Eden is a really cool amp , very bassy but the Eq and enhance knob are ace for dialling a bass tone into a Room . Its still going and as temped as I get to replace it with an Ashdown atm I just cant justify it atm. I plug it in and go " Ye for a 1x1/2x10 rig its more than enough " which is 80% of Gigs these days . Hope that helps anyone looking at Eden do try one out Youtubes great but that Enhance knob is a Giging feature it really dose help you sculpt the Bass sound to the Room your in . Also if it dose break you can send it to Marshall and they'll sort it out as its a Newer Head . Kind regards Ash :D

• Like 1