Why become a member? ×

Should I, or shouldn't I ?

largo

I'm thinking of changing my rig, for no other reason than wanting a change. And maybe lightening the load...

I currently play an Ashdown ABM 500 RC EVO II amp through a Schroeder 410L cab. Fairly low footprint and weight, and plenty loud as the bass always goes through the PA as well so it really is just onstage sound. Playing covers in a function band.

I have been thinking of trying Markbass, and especially the CMD121P combo as a small(er) option. And now, with Markbass soon to release a New York 121 cabinet that matches the dimensions and weight of the combo exactly I can have a very small, and very lightweight stacked rig pushing 500W into a 2x12 setup with a LM II amp.

So, should I do it ?

Hi Stephen

I'd recommend keeping your cab and getting a small light weight head. Your cab is good and goes plenty loud enough.

Get something like a TecAmp Puma 500. [url="http://www.tec-amp.com/index.php?id=136"]http://www.tec-amp.com/index.php?id=136[/url] Never tried one yet but I'll be getting one in soon to try out.

I've got 2 Tec 12" cabs and they're a great compromise between big cab sound and small cab weight (they're 10kg each). They're rated at 300w each and are plenty loud enough for me with my NA650.

They're in the shop if you want to have a go (bring your red Shuker in!!). Feel free to borrow them for a gig if you want as well.

I've never been taken with the MB suff, for whatever reason.....so can't help you there.

cheers

D.

Have you played through any of the Markbass gear yet? If not, I'd strongly suggest that you do before making any decisions. I bought a MB head and cab on the back of the hype that surrounded their gear and the 'clear uncoloured tone'. Personally speaking, I was very disappointed. I fully understand that it's some people's bass amp nirvana, but for me it's a bit like Marmite; you either love it or hate it. A definite 'try before you buy'/

Thanks for the info.
The TecAmp gear looks pretty good, although I'm also tempted with an Ampeg SVT-3PRO as an option.
Might just take you up on the offer, and I'll bring along the sprakly bass for you to gaze in amazement at. Hehe, that's showbusiness.

Rumble, nope I haven't played any Markbass gear, just going on the hype.
I did the same with EBS a few years back, the HD350 and that lasted about 3 months before being punted.
Anywhere in sunny Scotland have MB gear in stock that I can try out?