Why become a member? ×

Drivetime - Xotic BB Bass,MXR M89 Bass overdrive,EHX Bass Soul food.... Your thoughts please.

Signal Path

Hello chaps,I was wondering if you've had any experience with any, or all of the above pedals.
I'm looking for a versitile OD/distortion,I already have a DHA VT-1 eq pedal which I love and is my "always on" pedal,but wanted a pedal to kick it up to 11 but NOT in a Fuzz way.
A) The Xotic BB.... To me this is my favourite,sounds the best, from listening to YouTube
B)The MXR M89 Bass overdrive.. liked this pedal initially,but have my doubts,although in its defence there are a very limited number of decent YouTube vids available.
C)This sounds good too, but there are some decent videos showing what it can do, unlike the MXR
I just want to get it as right as I can before I go for something, as I have no way of auditioning all these pedals,I thought I'd ask you guys,knowing the knowledgeable bunch that reside on here.
Any help/advice would be greatly received.
Many thanks in advance.
Steve

Edited by Signal Path

obviously drive pedals are very subjective to the user,but for me (having used all there) it would have to be the bass soul food ......mainly for how the blend interacts.
It has a nice mid sound and work lovely with other pedals.

Edited by danbowskill

I am a huge fan of the Xotic BB preamp, but the EHX pedal seems to be getting some good reviews, and is half the price. The BB doesn't have (or need, IMO) a blend, and is more versatile as it has a 2 band EQ, but it doesn't seem like you need that with your DHA pedal already on the board...

I should also add, i think I saw a BB preamp (and maybe even an old full tone bassdrive) in the classifieds for decent prices, so don't rule out going second hand. You won't lose much more than the postage costs if you decide you don't like a pedal and want to resell it...

The Caline CP-18 is a clone of the BB and somewhere between $30 and £35 depending on where you can find one. Or you could make ypur own.... [url="http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Big_Beefy_Preamp_-_Boost_and_Overdrive/p847124_10530483.aspx"]here[/url].