Why become a member? ×

which bartolini PU's for a SS2?

andytoad

OK,
looks like i need a new set of pickups in my Warwick SS2, thought it was the preamp, WD music in kent took a look and worked it out to be the bridge PU.

its an '87 so has the original active EMGs, i want to replace like for like, as this may not happen, i have looked around other options (and from web information on web forums) decided Bartolini would be a good choice.

However, Im finding their website a little confusing!!!! they are stating that all their PU's are passive, however, various forum threads state they can be used.

How does that work? I even called EMG in california today, got straight through (great), but had a little trouble with the dead pan attitude (not so great), probably me.

Opinions on best choice for an '87 Warwick SS2 would also be welcomed!

IMHO, the Bartolinis are really quite a bit different to the EMGs.

If you're after something different, the Barts (amongst others) will give you another option. However, if you're after the same tone as you've had before (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), I'd stick with the EMGs. Having used them in most of the stuff I've owned over the past 20 or so years, they've been really consistent over the years. The older ones are pretty close to modern off the shelf versions. I've got a roadworn 30 year old PJ set in a bitsa Precision and they're almost identical to the solderless set in my newish Spector.

HTH