Why become a member? ×

FS/FS: LAURUS Quasar T900 XRH 5 - TRADED
£2200

Scooby

A piece of beautiful Italian luthiery :) Amazing range of sounds, a very versatile bass, which can be strung either B-G or E-C. It has a beautiful crafted asymmetric neck that is unique in that it slims slightly as you approach the dusty end! It has a fairly shallow radius which, combined with the neck profile, make for an extremely comfortable and fast neck. The total weight is a shade under 4kg. The balance is perfect everything just feels effortless. There is a custom made ramp with the bass, tools, and semi-rigid case.

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Laurus Quasar T900 XRH five strings[/font][/color]
[color=#141414]Top Nut is 43mm[/color]
[color=#141414]Weight - a shade under 4kg[/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Mahogany body with two tonal chambers[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Quilted maple top[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]5 piece neck/purpleheart neck through body[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Phenolic fingerboard[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Nordstrand Dual Coil pickups wired for parallel/series operation w/3 band Noll preamp[/font][/color]

[b][font=ConcordeBE]Review: [/font][/b][font=ConcordeBE]The bass’s superb weight distribution, coupled with the well-contoured lower horn, made it perfectly balanced on my lap. To further benefit weight and improve resonance, the Laurus’s mahogany body wings are hollowed out. On a strap, the Laurus was also well balanced, and included two lower strap pins for placing the instrument at different angles depend- ing on a player’s approach. Laurus indeed achieved excellent ergonomics, although the T 900’s neck profile is unusual, and will likely not please everybody. I dug its shal- low depth, but the asymmetrical profile includes a relative sharp angle at the apex of the curve; almost like a skewed Fender V-profile. It was initially off-putting, although I did adjust. Some probably won’t want to bother. [/font][font=ConcordeBE]The Laurus’s construction was excellent.[/font]
[size=4][font=ConcordeBE]The lightly applied oil finish enhanced the woods’ figure, and the engraved trussrod cover and laurel-wreath label are attractive touches. The hardware performed well and the fretwork and neck finishing was superb. [/font][/size][font=ConcordeBE]The Laurus features Nordstrand Dual Coil pickups and a Noll preamp. I wasn’t familiar with Noll prior to this review, but was pleased with the preamp’s performance throughout testing. It was subtle and well voiced. [/font]
[font=ConcordeBE]Even acoustically, playing the Laurus immediately revealed its extremely resonant neck and body. I could feel notes in my left hand and through my body, enhancing my impression of the instrument’s musicality and sensitivity to dynamics. With the EQ flat and the pickups blended, the Laurus spoke with a tight and controlled voice than seemed well balanced across the spectrum. It was delicate and refined, with excellent [/font]

[font=ConcordeBE]string-to-string balance and top-to-bottom [/font]
[font=ConcordeBE]coherence. The [/font][font=ConcordeBE][i]B [/i][/font][font=ConcordeBE]string felt and sounded tight, with texture and output well matched to the other strings. The Laurus had a rich overtone spectrum and light low end, so fans of big-booty fundamental should look elsewhere. The soloed bridge pickup sound was burpy and rich in the mids, although again its elegance was anything but aggres- sive. The neck pickup was the woodiest of the settings, yielding the most vintage-like J-style tone. The bass sang in the mid and high registers, and its excellent fretwork and balance made soloistic playing a pleasure. [/font]
[font=ConcordeBE]The Laurus T 900 XR was a beautiful and thoughtfully designed bass that would be particularly well suited to dexterous play- ers who crave good physical and sonic balance. [/font]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Review: [/font][/color][url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/01/12/bass-of-the-week-laurus-t900-xr/"]http://www.notreble....laurus-t900-xr/[/url]

YouTube: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywaLsfvefWk"]https://www.youtube....h?v=ywaLsfvefWk[/url]

Edited by Scooby

[quote name='cigir' timestamp='1448625168' post='2916919']
what about string spacing?
[/quote]

String spacing is a shade under 18mm. However this can be slightly adjusted either way using the unique bridge saddles. The bass can also easily be strung B-G or E-C without any problems - and still sounds awesome