Why become a member? ×

'Mono-cultures Of Our Minds' by Che Guebuddha

Che

This tune was inspired with all the miserable happenings taking place around the globe, not just now, but always, it seems it never ends :(

The link didn't work for a short while/re-uploaded now :)
https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/mono-culture-of-our-minds-the-first-version

Edited by Che

[quote name='Che' timestamp='1447884505' post='2911302']... Opinions please...
[/quote]

... which only goes to show, I suppose. I was just about to comment on your first posting, to congratulate you on having got the hang of this 'ere mixing process, as I found it to be very good, a huge improvement on the first 'test' posts' you'd made a short while back. Nicely balanced, pretty clean recording, good dynamics; as a bonus, the playing is up to par. Altogether an enjoyable listen.
Not to say that this new version is bad, but I certainly prefer the first. The levels are much higher, so it's difficult to do a straight 1 to 1 comparison by switching between the two, but it's too compressed for me, so the dynamics are much reduced. To me, it sounds as if it's even clipping, as the bass, especially, is much more rasping, in a disagreeable way. I can here the 'drive' in the first, but it's spoilt by distortion in the second. To each his own; you ears are the final judge of what you want to hear, but I played the first a few times, I stopped the second one after only a couple of plays through. Too tiring, not enough of interest going on (in mix terms, not in composition; nowt wrong there...).
So, for the first take, 9.5/10. For the second..? 4.5; could do better. Only my opinion, of course, as an old duffer. :blush:

Thanks Dad much appreciated as always! I listened to the first version a lot and thought I like it. Then I rested my ears and after walking my dog I listened again and man that lead guitar just was too low and the bass for me was also not punching through. Could be due to my AKG K-55 headphones, dunno.

So I took out some of the harmonic parts and added more saturation to both the bass, drums and the lead guitar and YES :) I added a compressor to the Master FX so all got compressed together (my bad). I did change the 8x10" bass cab plugin for a 1x15" with a tweeter to get that extra punch because in the first version (now deleted sorry did it before I read your reply, but I have it saved on my comp) the bass sounded too dull.

I think much of it comes to the monitors and headphones we all use. Im still using 2 different headphones just to get some wider idea as how this might sound in peoples headphones.

Edited by Che