Why become a member? ×

Recording with Bass Pod Xt Pro using the SPDIF

WalMan

I have posted this query on the Line6 BOD forum, but it looks as though that may not get regular use so just in case I thought I would copy it here in case anyone has any ideas.

Line6 thread & the picture referred to below [url="http://line6.com/support/thread.jspa?threadID=39454&tstart=0"]HERE[/url]

I have recently started using my BOD Xt Pro for some recording to my PC home studio set up (PC, EMU 1212m soundcard, Mackie Tracktion 3) and today got hold of some SPDIF cables to get the signal digital as soon as possible.

I have read the manual and set the
- Input to bass
- Format to Match SPDIF
- Mode to DRYBASS
- Gain 0dB
- Dest to Studio Direct
- FX Loop to parallel
- Digout to SPDIF

Now I was expecting to get the unprocessed Bass out set like this so that I could re-amp, but what I seem to get is Model on the left channel and unprocessed, but at a lower level, in the right channel. Model is hitting 0dB. Unprocessed is some way below this, though still clean

In many ways this is OK as I seem able to set SPDIF 1 for model & 2 for unprocessed on two separate tracks in the DAW. The only problem (not huge but niggling all the same) is the mismatch in levels. It would be nice to be able to balance them out of the BOD to the SPDIF's.

The file attached is a cut down screenshot of Tracktion and the wave files.
- G&L - BOD SVT was recorded with the input gain for the channel at 0dB
- G&L DI was recorded at the same time, but with the input gain at +9.1dB and you can see that it is still not of equivalent level to the model channel.

The peak level in modelled track is 0dB. In the unprocessed track with the input gain boosted it is -3.7dB

Does anyone use the BOD SPDIF's for recording and can they point me to where I may be going wrong?

I can push one level in the DAW for unprocessed to try to balance it up, but it would be nice not to have to.

Thanks

[quote name='WalMan' post='281093' date='Sep 10 2008, 01:53 PM']Now I was expecting to get the unprocessed Bass out set like this so that I could re-amp, but what I seem to get is Model on the left channel and unprocessed, but at a lower level, in the right channel. Model is hitting 0dB. Unprocessed is some way below this, though still clean[/quote]

I would expect there to be a difference between the processed and unprocessed sound level - if the unprocessed is just that - a direct input from the bass, albeit being converted to digital by the POD. There is bound to be a difference between that and a signal that has been through amp modelling etc.

Edited by lateralus462

Yes. It's just odd that the manual suggests that it will either be model, or unprocessed coming out of the SPDIF, but I am getting both, AND there is a 12dB difference between the two sources.

I can drive the input in the DAW, its just that I am not getting what I was expecting having read the manual :)

I suppose I should just be glad I am getting both and at solid levels that are not overloading the channels!!

Now you put it like that & re reading the manual perhaps that is what all the "Danger Will Robinson - Overload" tosh is all about talking about in connection with the channel boost.

I shall have to experiment more with reamping & see where that gets me.

Don't think it's me but the damn Line6 site is being a bit flaky in connecting for me tonight :)

[quote name='dr.funk' post='281729' date='Sep 11 2008, 12:08 PM']Can you not use the EMU mixer to increase the gain on the dry channel so they are matched before they hit the DAW?[/quote]
You'd have thought wouldn't you!!

It comes up as a "stereo" channel strip in the EMU mixer, and whilst I have to admit I have not got fully to grips with some of the things on offer I cannot find a way of boosting just one side.

I did try creating new strips for SPDIF L & R but the EMU mixer did not seem to want to let me do that

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='283420' date='Sep 13 2008, 11:29 PM']0dbvu or 0dbfs?[/quote]
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer :) Not a clue just looking at what Wavelab says when I stuff tracks through it to normalise them and ask it to find peak level first.

Strange thing is when I put the DI signal recorded from the BOD back to reamp it I have to drop the send level by 12 dB or it just swamps the BOD.

As I seem to have found ways around each "problem I have rather given up on a solution and just use the workarounds I have established

• 3 weeks later...

0dbfs = =18dbvu = way too hot!! Back off = problem solved.

[quote name='WalMan' post='288357' date='Sep 21 2008, 04:26 AM']Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer :) Not a clue just looking at what Wavelab says when I stuff tracks through it to normalise them and ask it to find peak level first.

Strange thing is when I put the DI signal recorded from the BOD back to reamp it I have to drop the send level by 12 dB or it just swamps the BOD.

As I seem to have found ways around each "problem I have rather given up on a solution and just use the workarounds I have established[/quote]