Why become a member? ×

Ebay Fender Precison early 70's USA made.

Guest Bald Eagle

Guest Bald Eagle

Anybody interested in this bass you must go and see it first or get some pictures of the back of the neck, despite the 'vintage mojo' label it is not through playing it has been very poorly looked after it does play ok but the electrics which have been modded are shot. The fretboard also has lots of dinks particulary on the edges but the back of the neck is worse it has holes which have been filled in, it was bought on Friday purely to sell on straight away for an anticipated killing I expect, I could have bought it myself but the bass and the circumstances just didn't feel right.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-Made-in-USA-1970s-Vintage_W0QQitemZ260136625753QQihZ016QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='gareth' post='29389' date='Jul 9 2007, 10:10 PM']have you inspected the bass yourself

i just wondered how you knew about the back of the neck

was it originally bought on ebay - if so do you have the item number[/quote]

I went to look at it last Friday afternoon at a private house following an ad in the bargain pages, it's the real deal ok but I didn't wan't it personally because of the condition, missing chrome & faulty series/parallel mod so a dealer bought it same evening to sell on ebay for profit and at the rate it's going he will be in profit very soon.

Don't get me wrong it might be somebodies dream bass but as usual the ebay images don't give the full story, it is in worse nick than you might imagine hence why I posted here to suggest anybody interested should ask to see it first or get some good close up shot's both sides of the neck and the pups etc. so at least so you know what to expect, it plays ok though (action wise) but the 70's Precisions i've tried all feel the same, the cosmetics make up the rest of the package imo and this could be best described as a rough diamond a very rough diamond perhaps?

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='paul, the' post='29530' date='Jul 10 2007, 03:10 AM']Those machine heads don't look 30+ years old. Why would they be replaced?[/quote]

The machine heads are not the worst feature of this bat either :)

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='gareth' post='29874' date='Jul 10 2007, 05:31 PM']what was the asking price when you saw it[/quote]

Cheap enough for an ebay opportunist to possibly double or treble their money on the right day, especially if a seller starts ramping the price up with ghost bid's towards the end of the auction, it's the oldest trick in the book.

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='29888' date='Jul 10 2007, 05:54 PM']Good info baldy, I had that on my watch list! still if it goes for a snip I guess you could throw some dosh at it and bring it up to scratch. These oldies are worth the time and money sometimes. Thanks for the heads up![/quote]

My pleasure, I could have had it for a relative snip but thought it would need too much spending on it and after all you can't polish a turd. Better to hold out for one already in good nick with nice provenance, I rekon anywhere between £600-900 is enough for a good straight fairly original one.

Guest Bald Eagle

£500 with 2 hours to go, I have a horrible feeling somebody is going to be bitterly disapointed the seller on the other hand must be planning a nice summer holiday on the huge profit he's already made, it's morally corrupt x 2, the sellers been well stitched and so has the potential buyer, well probably imo anyway.

I shall watch the feedback with interest.

Edited by Bald Eagle

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='paul, the' post='31536' date='Jul 13 2007, 08:12 PM']Those machine heads really annoy me.[/quote]

Not as much as unscrupulous sellers annoy me I bet, oh well what goes round comes round, and bloody quick in this instance I hope.

SOLD. To the man in the cashmere crombie for, wait for it.....1,914,562.40 ITL

That should be interesting, good news though cause mines obviously worth at least oooh $5,360.00, what a load of bullocks.

Edited by Bald Eagle

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='beerdragon' post='31639' date='Jul 14 2007, 12:33 AM']£670 Was'nt all that bad a price, i would'nt have touched it simply for the toggle switch mod.[/quote]

Perhaps, but what about the sh*tty body, scarred neck and water damage.