Why become a member? ×

To a Phil Jones C8 from a GK 210MBE

anzoid

I'm looking at getting a Phil Jones C8 to replace a GK 210MBE. The GK cab is the bottom of the line but I've been quite happy with it for the stuff I do and it has been plenty loud enough. Only complaint with it is that it is a bit boomy when cranked up - I know I could add battens and wadding and stuff but DIY is not (at all) my strong point. Would the C8 be an upgrade worth having? Generally playing with a Steinberger Synapse 4-string these days and quite like hi-fi bass.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a pair of C8s. I am very impressed. They are tight, punchy, articulate and produce a hifi sound (particularly powered by PJB amps). They are great with all my basses and even handle my 5 stringers really well.

I can't compare C8 to a GK210MBE. To my ears Phil Jones cabs seem quieter than equivalent wattage power rated traditional cabs, for example compared to Markbass, Vanderkley & Eden cabs I own. Speaker efficiency and dBs make loudness and volume not watts. [b]BUT that said at 800 watt at 4 ohm I find the C8 to be plenty loud and it's clarity and ability to cut through the mix reduces the need for deafening volume levels. [/b]

I don't think you will be disappointed, but you really need to give the C8 a listen.