Why become a member? ×

NDBD (new double bass day)

Paul S

The title isn't strictly correct as they both arrived yesterday and neither of them is a double bass. :) One - a Godin acoustibass - has a thread to itself. The other is interesting.

I have come to like medium scale basses a lot, I find them comfy and easy to play. I already have a white '84 A series MIJ Squier Precision (which is the best bass I have ever played), A series Squier Katana and an early 90s 32" scale Aerodyne Jazz, all of which are fantastic basses to the extent that I am slowly selling off most of the others I have.

I have an eBay search plumbed in so over the weekend I scrolled down a little further than usual and noticed an '85 B serial number Japanese 32" scale Squier Precision for sale in Japan. Never seen a B serial number before. Black - so it would make an ideal brother to the white A series one I already gave. Extensive pics showed it to be scruffy with a butchered scratchplate, so I made a very low offer of £250 which, surprisingly, was accepted. Shipping offered was DHL at £88. Sent from Tokyo on Monday, I had a bill to pay online for £33 duties and taxes (seems a bit low) on Tuesday. Total cost £371 which, knowing how good these basses are already, is a decent chunk less than I would have paid had one been up for sale in Europe. It arrived yesterday. 48hrs door to door from Tokyo. Unbelievable.

Had a very quick plug and play and it doesn't disappoint - sounds and feels awesome, very similar to the white one. Weighs around 7lbs, very clean, loads of mojo. Fabulous slim neck, maple with rosewood board. The maple has a really rich vintage colour to it. Stock pups seem to be very woody and old school. I will need to raise the action, also maybe a new scratchplate (or maybe not, as it is part of the mojo), but really couldn't be happier. Pics later, of course.

Here is a link to some pretty comprehensive pics from the seller

[url="https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4A2gt4c6rAxQXc2SlZFQWp5dTg&usp=sharing"]https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4A2gt4c6rAxQXc2SlZFQWp5dTg&usp=sharing[/url]

Playing it this morning and its hard to put down... :)