Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Signature GVB36 Gerald Veasley (or any other bass with narrow string spacing)

Silent Fly

[quote name='Silent Fly' timestamp='1445427998' post='2891347']
Custom is an option I'm considering.

The SR1206 I tried was ok regarding the string spacing but the neck was a little bit to thick. It sounded very nice though.

[/quote]

Another, cheaper option, might be to find a bass you like at the bridge end, like the SR1206 you found and have the neck modified, or even just just get a new neck made for the body?
I know Shuker have built custom necks for various purposes in the past.

Cheers,
Eude

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to try a Ibanez Signature GVB36. A person that was selling it on eBay, very kindly, allowed me to try it.

Nice bass. Ironically, I found the 14mm string spacing perfectly ok for playing slap. It was a little bit too narrow for fingerstyle but not too bad though. It is probably just matter of getting used to shorter finger movements.

I would have liked the string spacing at the nut a little bit narrower and a thinner neck. It felt a bit unbalanced compared to the string spacing at the bridge.

The narrow string spacing gave the instrument a guitar-like feel when playing chords that I really liked.

I don't think it is the perfect bass for me especially because of the width at the nut. I'm happy I tried it though. It gave me a good reference point for my next 6 string.