Why become a member? ×

NBD - Steinberger Synapse 4-string

anzoid

Been wanting one of these for ages but either always missed 'em on eBay or shops were out of stock. Finally found one.
Quick delivery from Germany to the UK - ordered last Sunday night, arrived Wednesday just after lunch.

This thing is awesome - balances really nicely with the strap hook, not too heavy. Sound is bright but can be tamed. The piezo in the bridge is going to take some getting used to - it picks up every noise on the guitar, knock the body and you hear that, etc. Tone with the EMG pickup is even with some good low end growl. The piezo needs some work because the E, at least playing relatively quietly at home, is noticeably louder than the other strings. There are a couple of pots for adjusting the bass and treble sides of the piezo but I've not had much time to fiddle with them yet.

So far been playing it with mostly the EMG and just a hint of piezo for a bit of "snap" and the EQ pretty much flat - tiny bit of bass boost.

From what I've read, opinion is mixed about the Synapse but I've got to say I'm really liking it and can't wait to take it out for a proper run tomorrow. Certainly, at least IMO, the sound isn't sterile but I don't think it can be compared much with something lke an XL2 - a very different beast but you can see (and hear) the family resemblence.

Wasn't sure I was going to like the transparent amber (would have preferred black or white) but seeing as it was the only one I could find in Europe... well you take what you can get. And actually, I like it. The flamed front is pretty subtle but the wood grain does show through nicely on the rest of it. I did look into importing from the US where are there are more of these around but with import tax, duty and all the other stuff, wouldn;t have been worth it just for a different colour.

Build quality and fit and finish are good, but not excellent - I think I would have expected slightly better but it's not bad by any means. Certainly better than my Spirit XT-2 which itself is pretty sweet :)

[attachment=199064:20150822-AJF_9582.jpg][attachment=199065:20150822-AJF_9585.jpg][attachment=199066:20150822-AJF_9587.jpg]

• 9 months later...

I think I own that bass now. Took a little getting used to & a change of amp it helped the sound, but I agree with Anzoids comments above about the sound. The balance & weight are so good, my Jazz bass is now the one of the two the feels slightly uncomfortable on a strap, & I've been used to that one for 10 years!

I'm more than happy with it to be honest, as it's very easy to play & has great tonal range.

I don't think they are available new any more though, which if that's the case, would be a shame.

[quote name='Wilco' timestamp='1464895587' post='3063674']
I think I own that bass now. Took a little getting used to & a change of amp it helped the sound, but I agree with Anzoids comments above about the sound. The balance & weight are so good, my Jazz bass is now the one of the two the feels slightly uncomfortable on a strap, & I've been used to that one for 10 years!

I'm more than happy with it to be honest, as it's very easy to play & has great tonal range.

I don't think they are available new any more though, which if that's the case, would be a shame.
[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Sounds like it's a good one!

I sold the Synapse to pay off a NS Design Radius WAV 4 (which I now need to move on to pay for something else... GAS is a killer...)

I don't regret selling the Synapse but that's because I'm going through a phase of trying stuff out (note: Wilco's a good bloke to deal with - was very nice to meet him in person and talk bass for a while - just wish I'd thought to sell on Basschat... :D)

The Synapses are definitely in a different league to the Spirit XT line - I've had a four and a five-string Spirit. Tonally the EMG is... typical EMG - very clear and it's well in the sweet spot. The piezo (compared to the Radius) is a bit rougher, or maybe you just get slightly better control of it on the Radius. But it's still good and gives you tonal variations you're just not going to find elsewhere and it can certainly thump. You kind of need to back the treble off when just using the piezo at volume or it'll take your head off :D

Ergonomics wise - heavier than you might think from looking at it, it's solid but all the weight is down the body end so, once it's on you don't feel the weight so much because you have very little leverage pulling down on your left shoulder.

Of all the basses I've been through on my two year expedition the Synapse (if I could get a 5-string) would be one I wouldn't hesitate to buy again (or would seriously GAS for if I had no money and the wife's patience for buy one/sell one has run out :D). For the money they're really good little basses.

If you want one new this: http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/modern-bass-guitars/steinberger/ is probably the place to keep an eye on. Secondhand - they're pretty rare unfortunately.