Why become a member? ×

Audience power

KevB

Here's a funny thing. A club wanted us to play a gig for them on Sep12th and we agreed to do it. Last week they got back to the band member who organised it and asked if we'd change to 11th instead. Although we can all do it none of us are that happy about doing a Friday rather than a Sat when you have a day job to slog at all week. Band member has now texted me to tell me there has been some sort of revolt at the club and some members are threatening not to renew their subscriptions for next year and boycott the club unless we play on the original date as they too seem to prefer seeing us on a Sat night as well. It's quite touching really, especially as the only time we've been there was to set up our own gear one afternoon for a rehearsal and check it all worked properly before we started booking gigs.

That's nice isn't it ?

It's nice to feel that your efforts are appreciated.

I depped for a jazz band at a garden party on Saturday, they had an awful lot of people come up to them during breaks, and afterwards saying how they liked what they did, that was mostly down to the wonderful vocalist though.

I guess Saturday nights are the traditional night for entertainment at clubs, so why try and change that ?

Edited by ambient

There's nothing more powerful than the paying majority!

I generally find that the Saturday/Bank Holiday crowds are a massive driving force what with the "normal" (if that's the right word now-a-days) working week overspilling in to the traditional weekend then the demand from the public can dictate the whole affair (and on many different sized events).

It's also a nice thing when the potential audience appreciate the musicians enough to cause a minor revolt.