Why become a member? ×

Are the USA fenders worth the money

ironside1966

Thanks’ for all the replies so far they have all been very helpful.

I am not put off by complicated active basses but I will generally stick to a couple of sounds.
I do like the jazz bass honk though.
The 2 concerns I have are.
If fender cut corners to save a few bob in routing, do they cut cost elsewhere cheaper pickups, or lower quality wood or components.
Also a lot of people seem to want to change the bridge and pickups.

Have a few basses
A Peavey Zephyr
A Squier Jazz deluxe active.
A Yamaha BBG A42
A Jazz built form bits and bobs including wizard 84,s and Gotoh Bridge that is good.
A Tokai LBX/MBX
They are all good bases in the own way and all sound good but just want one bass to stand out.

Just play lots and pick the one you like most.

I don't get all this talk about consistency.

Surely you're only gonna buy one?

Who cares if the vast majority of MIJ/MIA are crap? If the one you pick up is and play is great, then I'd say its worth the money.

I've just come back from The Gallery in Camden, played a few high-end basses (un-plugged) and couldn't find anything that was as playable as my (MIA) Jazz. Even when trying basses twice the price.

All a question of taste of course.

*I also played a Warwick (Thumb I think you lot would call it??). It was like playing a tiny lump of driftwood with a 2 yard long neck attached. It also had a weird concave slab shape, obviously designed to wrap round the beer bellies of the 50 something, mulleted wannabe 80's session musicians who favour them.

I'm joking of course. But lets just say I wasn't a fan!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='276341' date='Sep 3 2008, 03:55 PM']*I also played a Warwick (Thumb I think you lot would call it??). It was like playing a tiny lump of driftwood with a 2 yard long neck attached. It also had a weird concave slab shape, obviously designed to wrap round the beer bellies of the 50 something, mulleted wannabe 80's session musicians who favour them.

I'm joking of course. But lets just say I wasn't a fan![/quote]

Thats because you need to develop the "beer belly and mullet" and play it with your thumb. They are much comfier resting on the flab.... :)

very interesting banter going here,

I would say this, I have owned 2 USA fenders now and both were stunningly built and far suppassed the quality of many other basses I have played with the exception of a USA Lakland, USA Sadowsky, and a custom Warwick. No Ibanez, Cort, or MIM Fender ever came close to the sound and quality of build of my two, but i know that is not always the case.

I dont know what the new Fender USA basses are like because basically I have no desire for any USA basses they currently make, and the only bass they still make that I actually like is the Marcus Miller which is stunning and only made in Japan.

My Roscoe Beck V, is a beautifully built instrument, and IMHO is better built than any Lakland Skyline, which even thought they are great basses I think are only just worth their secondhand value, ( I have seen mint used "proper" american laklands in the states for less as new skylines over here).

My point (I think) is just try a few, its a personal thing, a lot of people on here may not like USA Fenders but, you may pick one up and it could blow you away both in sound and build. Personally I would never buy a Lakland Skyline (good basses but after playing a American one, no chance) but folks on here swear by them.

Cheers and good luck

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='276341' date='Sep 3 2008, 03:55 PM']*I also played a Warwick (Thumb I think you lot would call it??). It was like playing a tiny lump of driftwood with a 2 yard long neck attached. It also had a weird concave slab shape, obviously designed to wrap round the beer bellies of the 50 something, mulleted wannabe 80's session musicians who favour them.

I'm joking of course. But lets just say I wasn't a fan![/quote]

Hehe. The Thumb is the ultimate marmite bass, but they do make them well and they can be easily set up.

In any case my beef with Fenders isn't the design, it's the fact that I've picked up plenty of US fenders with high-end price tags that feel shoddy and are horrible to play. More often than not the MIJs are far, far better.

At the very least I would question the way in which their factory setups are done. Always seems that you could fit a bus under the strings at the base of the neck.....

Personal taste, I guess... :)

Edited by rjb