Why become a member? ×

15,12, cab build advice please

timhiggins

I have a 300 watt 15 speaker from a hartke cab and an eminence delta 12a 400 watt and am thinking of a cab with
the 15 facing front and the 12 on the side [pointing at drummer] ,these are both 8 ohm and will be wired in parallel making it a 4 ohm cab ...does this sound feasible ?

If you are asking will it work, so long as you build the cab to match the speakers then yes, it will make a noise and may sound OK.

Is it a good idea?

first the Eminence Delta has a huge midrange peak and a limited excursion, so isn't the best speaker for bass on the market and it won't handle the thermal limit of 400W before it starts to distort and starts hammering on the back of the magnet.

I've had the idea of pointing a speaker at the drummer too. There's a kind of logic to it if the drummer struggles to hear you, and a lot of them suffer from high frequency hearing loss if they don't wear ear defenders. In the end I decided it makes more sense to build two cabs so you can put one behind the drummer or pointing sideways or any other combination you might want to try. Building them both into one cab will limit you to a single option.

If you are building a cab for the hartke then copy the dimensions of the original cab, use winISD to determine the best cab for the Eminence Delta or get someone here to calculate it for you. Alternatively Eminence have cab designs for all their speakers on their web site.

Edited by Phil Starr

Thanks Phil, 2 separate cabs does seem to make more sense ,and one of the reasons i was considering a 12,15 was that i found the
deltas to be very middy where as the hartke is very warm with nice lows [to my ears] so i thought they may mix well together...
I replaced the the hartke speaker with an eminence Kappa pro 500 15 and that seems to work well in hartke cab,although this seems a little heavy on the mids
compared to my behringer 15 that although doesnt have as good response across the frequency range does seem to have very nice lows ,i had put this down to
it needing to be played a bit to wear in or is that nonsense ?
would i be better off going with a different 12 ?

• 1 month later...

Sorry I lost track of this because of the holiday period.

I'm assuming you have a cab for the Delta as otherwise you wouldn't know it was mid heavy (the peak I mentioned) and the behringer is a new introduction to the thread. You seem to have a range of 15's and a single 12.

It's just about impossible from raw data to predict how two speakers will complement or clash with each other. You just need to try all the combinations. My advice is to keep an open mind but also to keep notes. Try them in different rooms if you can and with different basses if these are available. Have a bass playing friend along too to do the listening tests if one is available.

If you were designing a cab you wouldn't start like this but with a sound you were aiming for and the intention of finding a driver that would match your design. Mixing speakers isn't wrong in any technical sense but it's more cookery than science. You might stumble across something that tastes (sounds) great but it might be horrid, the only way to test is to suck it and see. If you end up with something that sounds good then it is good. It is fun to try things but most people who swap drivers and cabs around like this are still doing so in twenty years time looking for the elusive perfect match.

For most people the best thing is to find the cab that sounds the way they like and buy two if they want it louder. If you are a born tinkerer though you'll have more fun just trying every combination under the sun.

Have fun :)